BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx on Apple Vision Pro - Feedback Wanted

Szabolcs Kari
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Skari_0-1707322439175.png

Welcome! We're excited to hear your ideas, feedback, and thoughts about BIMx - the BIM experience on Apple Vision Pro. Your insights mean the world to us! Don't worry, we're officially keeping an eye on this space to make sure your voices are heard. Jump into the conversation and let's work together to shape the future of BIMx on Apple Vision Pro!

Download BIMx to visionOS today!

Release article here

Group Product Manager - Collaboration, Product Management
March MSc Architect / BIM Manager
Graphisoft
23 REPLIES 23

One argument for supporting the Quest platform; as with the AVP it's an all-in-one device and it's also very cheap, cheap enough that we could buy one for every client if needed. Right now, it's much more likely that we would have clients that already own a quest 2 or 3 and telling them they can open bimx on that in addition to their phone does have some appeal. Given the cost of the AVP we aren't expecting the device to be ubiquitous any time soon so we're looking at it as primarily a presentation device we bring to meetings and as a result are looking for a level of presentation polish.

Regardless, I think both the quest and AVP need to be regarded as something different by Graphisoft than they currently are. Regular users of those devices are going to expect a lot more than the current phone/tablet app converted to that space, these are immersion devices and the development path should consider the standards of those device applications. It's great to use the path Apple gave to translate an iOS app to VisionOS as a stopgap but there needs to be a vision or roadmap to move beyond that if this is going to be something we actually incorporate into our work. Fingers crossed that GS will continue support this team!

Principal/Owner // Lane Williams Architects

Hi Rex,

We also see the need for mixed immersion mode to include more use cases, though those previously mentioned obstacles are still there, outside of our control and influence. As I mentioned earlier, as soon as these blockades got cleared, we'll jump on the mixed immersion developments for sure.

Also, thank you for sharing your way of getting into the AR space with the community. I'm sure it brings great value for everyone in the same shoes.

Cheers,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft

Dear architecturegeek,

Thank you for your extensive feedback about BIMx on Apple Vision Pro, as well with your contact details. This is really valuable for us. 
We'll keep in touch.
Cheers,
Szabolcs

Graphisoft

I've already abandoned BIMx on the AVP. Initially it seemed cool, but then it essentially offered nothing more than using it on an iPad could offer. I am currently doing what you are as well. Saving out FBX, converting to USDZ (although having issues with textures applying) and bringing into a mixed reality environment with the native VisionOS ability.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System