BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

V27 BIMx Viewer rant

Arcadia
Booster

Why is the functionality and usefulness of this software getting worse each version? Features have been dropped from earlier iterations of this software (such as lighting modes) but the biggest issue I have with BIMX is not being able to change the field of view. I suspect that it has a '50mm focal length' view as this is considered the 'normal' lens and doesn't distort spaces and verticals but it is a very narrow view in a house model with small rooms like bathrooms for my clients to try and navigate. They did at least add in an adjustable eye hieght but I REALLY want to be able to adjust my field of view as well.

Also why did the 'move' commands change from the arrow keys to the AWSD keys? I know that's a gamer thing but I have to try and get clients to use this viewer who are barely computer literate. Just stick to the arrow keys and mouse please.

V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
9 REPLIES 9
Marc H
Advisor

Hi Arcadia,

I have noticed some differences in behavior, but with regard to the view cone, did you check out the Settings (triple dots upper right, then Settings gear) while in the model view? Therein are several adjustments including 'cone', shadows, etc. which present themselves in the upper right.  The sunshine symbol to the left allows changing direction (time), height (seasonal), and intensity.  I believe if you set your true site orientation in the PLN file, it defaults to that, but I don't recall.  In any case, you can set the date and time, and that will show a specific exposure.

Update: Oh, I did not read that you are looking at a desk version, which I have not used in some years.  I use an iPad Pro and recommend to my team and stakeholders they use an iPad or equivalent.  Perhaps others may have input.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

So I found the field of view setting and shading in the bottom right. My bad. Why aren't these clustered with the gear wheel settings in the upper left? Why have 'eye height' and 'view cone' in entirely different locations when they are clearly related? Please do better with UI Graphisoft. Again, I have people who can't even figure out how to navigate the model and have to come into my office so I can run it for them. Please make this software as user friendly as possible.

V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11

Agreed, GS needs to review for consistency as they have done about every ten years or so.  Funny enough, Apple has similar issues. For example, the ‘share’ icon is in several different places in an app.  Pending that would be a nice client oriented video by GS we could include or loads with BIMx on first time use.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Zsolt Sarkadi
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Folks,

BIMx UX designer here. First of all I'm sorry if we caused any inconvenience for you with our latest updates. As we drop more and more features in our app, we are trying to create categories on our UI, so you should find similar settings clustered up.
At the top left menu you can find global settings which available for the entire model (or the app itself). Settings which are context dependent (like field of view), you can find only at their context. It is because we found confusing to change content or values of the main settings based on where you are.
When we revamped the navigation we also tried to eradicate context dependent behaviours in order to provide an easier understandability/learnability for our controls.
If you are willing to, I'm happy to have a one on one session with you to get more feedback about your concerns, or explain some of our decisions.

Zsolt Sarkadi
Product Designer, Graphisoft

Hi @Zsolt Sarkadi,

Thanks to your shared thoughts & visions about BIMX,

About your words 

(If you are willing to, I'm happy to have a one on one session with you to get more feedback about your concerns, or explain some of our decisions)

Can't we have a live Q&A webinar regaring this concern rather than a one on one session?

If (yes we can)?

Pls inform us via this post & the community webinars section and sure we'll be grateful.

Thanks a lot.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Hi @Mahmoud Qenawi,

Great idea, we will see what can we do about it, and coming back to you.

Zsolt Sarkadi
SullivanMario
Participant

@Arcadia wrote:

Why is the functionality and usefulness of this software getting worse each version? Features have been dropped from earlier iterations of this software (such as lighting modes) but the biggest issue I have with BIMX is not being able to change the field of view. I suspect that it has a '50mm focal length' view as this is considered the 'normal' lens and doesn't distort spaces and verticals but it is a very narrow view in a house model with small rooms like bathrooms for my clients to try and navigate. They did at least add in an adjustable eye hieght but I REALLY want to be able to adjust my field of view as well.

Also why did the 'move' commands change from the arrow keys to the AWSD keys? I know that's a gamer thing but I have to try and get clients to use this viewer who are barely computer literate. Just stick to the arrow keys and mouse please.

One major issue I've noticed is the inability to customize the field of view in BIMx, which can be particularly problematic when showcasing interior spaces to clients. The fixed '50mm focal length' view may be suitable for some situations, but for projects with small rooms like bathrooms, it results in a narrow and restrictive perspective that makes navigation challenging for clients.

There is a 'camera view cone' setting when you are in the 3D model window (on iPad version).  

Another option I use to relate design visualization is to create custom 3d views and include them in your BIMx upload, perhaps together in a folder.  (Folders within your BIMx published set can help quick navigation by the client or team member.)  I've included discipline specific models and 3d views and they are helpful.  For my use, they also acts as a QC on my model and document sets as BIMx produces a 'cleaned up' version of both.

@Marc H is correct. The Field of View is set in every 3D model based on how you publish it, but you can change it in BIMx as well. On mobile platforms it's part of the settings as Marc wrote, on desktop and web you can find it on the bottom right toolbar.
Note that Field of View depends on how you published the individual 3D models, its value can defer even within one hyper-model, and it's always reset to default when you close a view.

Zsolt Sarkadi