BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Has anyone tried Egnyte for file sharing?

svpribyl
Booster

Has anyone tried Egnyte for file sharing from a Mac network to a PC? It seems to be a fairly transparent cloud file server. I don't care for Dropbox or Google Drive. 

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based 13.6 Ventura

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

To share files between different computers, you should be able to use what ever cloud storage system you want.

It is recommended though, that you don't work directly on the file while it is in the cloud folder.

Copy it to your local drive, work on it there and then copy back to the cloud folder when you want to re-share it.

You will find many posts here where things go wrong when working on files directly in a cloud folder.

Sometimes it can work, but sometimes it doesn't and you can corrupt your files.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
data_defender
Participant

I actually work for Egnyte and could get you connected to someone who could give you more info on that if you'd like

Hi data_defender,

I have been talking to a couple of guys at Egnyte. Did you try running archicad via Egnyte? Barry's comment regarding possible file corruption when running over a network concerns me, because that is what I was hoping to do. I prefer not to have to download the file every time I want to work on it. 

Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
data_defender
Participant

Oh good to hear that you're already in touch with someone. I personally have not, but equally have not heard about any corruption issues...  

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!