BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Length Units in the Component Database

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am actually trying to use the quantity calculation features on some large projects and have run into a snag I can't figure out.

Creating linear components in the database I have set the unit to lineal feet and the Reference Quantity to "Length". I would assume that it would calculate the quantities per lineal foot but instead its interpreting the values as per lineal inch and I am getting 12 times the amount that it should be.

I realize that I can force it to work by setting my quantities per inch but this offends my sense of what is good and proper (0.0625 studs per lineal inch? yuck!) and I would really like to make it right. Unfortunately the manual seems to be mum on the subject.

Anybody know how to set the Reference Quantity units?

BTW: I have Eric Wilk's excellent book on the subject unfortunately it is in a box in the garage up at the country house (we just moved) so I can't look this up easily.
15 REPLIES 15
Rick Thompson
Expert
Change unit to pieces, that might do it. There should be a pre-defined component in your data base all set up. See screen shot. However, I might have made this, I don't remember. I use 1 stud per foot, as I was taught in the early 70's, for 16" oc take offs. That pretty much takes care of the corners and jack studs. If you are literally wanting one stud per 16", then that is probably a different story. I try to keep it simple and not think too much, that hurts.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, but my problem is that whether I use pieces or lineal feet it is calculating the length based on one inch units. In other words to get 1 stud every 16" I have to set my quantity as 0.0625 studs per length unit (inch) and the plates at 0.0833 ln ft per inch. There has to be a setting somewhere in this clutter of dialogs to change this but I am at a loss so far to figure it out.

BTW: We are calculating actual quantities of installed components with kings, jacks, sills and headers associated with the doors and interior glazing (exterior walls are different systems). The QS guys will be taking care of waste factors etc. We probably will be putting in sound blankets, screws, tape, joint compound etc. And that's just the walls. We'll be quantifying everything on this one. I don't think we'll be going so far as to calculate the hanger wires for the ceilings but then again, we'll see.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I think you might have inches selected under Project Preferences > calculation Units. I just went in and changed mine to inches and the studs for a wall went from 16 to 198. So.....
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
Change unit to pieces, that might do it. There should be a pre-defined component in your data base all set up. See screen shot. However, I might have made this, I don't remember. I use 1 stud per foot, as I was taught in the early 70's, for 16" oc take offs. That pretty much takes care of the corners and jack studs. If you are literally wanting one stud per 16", then that is probably a different story. I try to keep it simple and not think too much, that hurts.
I'm trying to get a handle on this thing as well. I've got mine set up like this but I'm coming out with 7 studs in a 2' wall. Any ideas what I might have wrong? My calculations option is set to feet, not inches. Does the script have to be changed?
Rick Thompson
Expert
My guess (important qualifier) is the multiplier is wrong (quantity) or the unit is not set to pieces?. I'll attach a screen shot and maybe you will see something.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I'm going wrong somewhere else......could I see a screenshot of the property script of the ext. wall to which you're linking?
Rick Thompson
Expert
That was actually an interior wall, but here is a shot of both.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK......but what I was wanting to see is what, if anything, is in the window that opens when you hit the "property script" button.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also....why are the quantities on sheetrock and sheathing only .03?
Learn and get certified!