BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Objects look different after exporting to DWG

Bill
Contributor

Certain library objects look different after I export a plan to DWG.  For example, cabinets that in ArchiCAD look like a counter and sink... after exporting, the DWG doesn't show the counter or sink and just shows the carcass.

What controls this, so that I can export the file correctly, with the counter and sink?

Thanks!

Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
runxel
Legend

Hey Bill, that's an undocumented (at least I was not able to find infos in the official help) function of the DWG translator.

Open the one you're using and under "Custom Functions" (those seem to differ between different localized versions) there is "Save Extras".

In there is an option called something like 'reduce number of blocks' or so.

Disable it and you'll be good 🙂

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
runxel
Legend

Hey Bill, that's an undocumented (at least I was not able to find infos in the official help) function of the DWG translator.

Open the one you're using and under "Custom Functions" (those seem to differ between different localized versions) there is "Save Extras".

In there is an option called something like 'reduce number of blocks' or so.

Disable it and you'll be good 🙂

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

Runxel, thanks for the quick response, that was it!  (Don't exactly understand what the real-world benefit of having that boxed checked is for, but that's beside the point here!)

Maybe you can help with another issue... the exported fills aren't oriented the way they are in the ArchiCAD file.  For example, roof fills that are on different slopes and different orientations all show up in the DWG in the same orientation and scale.  Is there a way to keep them as they are shown in AC?

Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1

You're welcom, glad I was of help.

With the fills... I don't know. Actually this is not really my department. Are they supposed to transfer with ortientation? Like in, did it work at some point?

I've checked the translators again, but nothing struck me as obvious there (which would've sticked out to you as well then).

What I know is that there is a difference between vector fills and symbol fills. They work opposite to PDF export: vector fills will stay as fills, and symbol fills will be lines in the resulting DWG. At least as long you have no special conversion table for them linked.

Learn and get certified!