BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Opening ifc file places objects in the wrong location on the plan

Jakob_Floyd
Booster

Good day,

I have started a new project and I was sent 2 ifc files:

A - with the building

B - with cable trays

When I start a new project in AC26 and hotlink both files, the location of objects do not match. I have contacted the manager of the project and he told me that it was supposed to be like that and gave me X and Y coordinates for how much to move file B so that the objects would align.

The problem is that those numbers do not work. And if I open those two files in the Open IFC viewer or BIMvision then I can see that cable trays are next to the building. But in AC cable trays are moved down and to the side.

I really hope that someone could tell me why AC is importing those files differently from other software.

Best wishes,

Jakob

AC26
i9-12900 | 64GB RAM | 1TB NVME | RTX 3070 | WIN 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@Jakob_Floyd wrote:

The solution that worked for me was to open new AC project and to go to File -> Interoperability -> Merge -> Merge from File and select the needed ifc file. It would merge at the correct coordinates and correct rotation.

Then I would go to File -> Save as and choose to save it as ifc file. And this newly saved file would attach as hotlink correctly.

Or, in that case, you could just take the PLN containing the IFC geometry and place it as Hotlinked Module, saving an extra step.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Are you importing the two IFC files with the same IFC Translator?

In the IFC Translator's Import settings, if you go to the Geometry Conversion Dialog, you will see the "Match Archicad Project Origin with" field. This may be different in different IFC Translators, which may cause models to be imported to differing positions.

Jakob_Floyd
Booster

The solution that worked for me was to open new AC project and to go to File -> Interoperability -> Merge -> Merge from File and select the needed ifc file. It would merge at the correct coordinates and correct rotation.

Then I would go to File -> Save as and choose to save it as ifc file. And this newly saved file would attach as hotlink correctly.

I do not know what causes this, but my guess would be that it has something to do with export settings in Revit.

Hopefully this will help to someone else in the future.

AC26
Solution

@Jakob_Floyd wrote:

Or, in that case, you could just take the PLN containing the IFC geometry and place it as Hotlinked Module, saving an extra step.

Ooh, I did not realize that I can use pln file as hotlink - silly me! 🙈 Thank you!

AC26
Learn and get certified!