BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Issue when printing layout

onestoreyllc
Booster

Hello, 

I'm having a problem where when I print a layout to PDF a few of the elevation view portals are coming in with crosshatching and others are not.  I can't figure out what is wrong.  You can see the first screen shot of the layout has not crosshatching in D-Master Bath West but the PDF print is does have the cross hatching.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 131.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-19 143059.jpg

  

Meredith
AC26 USA - Lenovo P17 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.4GHz - 32.0GB - Windows 11 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
scottjm
Advisor

Are you using Print and then select a PDF printer like acrobat? Or Publishing through a publisher set?

I have always found publishing through a publisher set gives better quality pdf exports. 

I’ve specifically found if you have semi transparent fills when you print to pdf through the print dialogue it doesn’t actually create the fill as parent, but creates it with little dots. 

Are you able to upload the pdf to interrogate further?

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
scottjm
Advisor

Are you using Print and then select a PDF printer like acrobat? Or Publishing through a publisher set?

I have always found publishing through a publisher set gives better quality pdf exports. 

I’ve specifically found if you have semi transparent fills when you print to pdf through the print dialogue it doesn’t actually create the fill as parent, but creates it with little dots. 

Are you able to upload the pdf to interrogate further?

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
Lingwisyer
Guru

Yeah, this comes down to how AC does "transparent" fills and how your PDF writer translates that. The inbuilt writer through the publisher will translate it as transparent, but many external writers will render the dots individually...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

We have experienced and ongoing issue for years with physical prints and how any printer we have has translated the published PDF’s from Archicad. They seem to be ‘layered’ and when physically printed there are very visible blocks across the whole drawing of slightly more intense and faded areas. This has happened with multiple manufacturers including Xerox and Konica Minolta. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Thank you all, this is an irritating little flaw but yes, I printed this sheet directly to PDF rather than using the Publisher.   I'll use the Publisher only in the future.  What's strange is how one layout with the same colors/finishes did not get the extra dots but two did.

At least the problem is solved.  thank you.

Meredith
AC26 USA - Lenovo P17 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.4GHz - 32.0GB - Windows 11 Pro

How do you solve this.

I have just bought a brand new HP laser print station and some elevations have these blocks .

The prints look terrible.

you have to use the publisher rather than printing directly from the program.   Create publishing set, even if it's one sheet and publish it to PDF or or BIM.  I only use PDF at this point but that will resolve the issue

Meredith
Learn and get certified!