BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Refining section presentation.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find that it is possible to get easy and nice presentations of a plan view, but there is always a problem to get a nice presentation of section.

I always find the following problems

1° How to hide the uncut areas of the basement, without erasing the elements. Perhaps using a mesh to hide everything behind.
2° I select to print everything in black, but then also if you made a section through the furnishing and bathroom objects it prints black the whole section, not only the parts. Something happen to the mesh, appear all black.
3° When printing doors at 90 degree, you can see the thickness of the case (usually 8mm) and the knots of the door, which make the drawing very messy. Do you know how we can get rid of this. Like a simplified setting for big scales like 1/200 or so.
3 REPLIES 3
Eduardo Rolon
Read up on Graphic Overrides.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find very useful the graphic overrides. But still need some help
1° I think that in a section view it is possible to hide the walls that are located in a different plan than the section plan under the ground with a mesh and a graphic override that has his foreground an empty fill in, but I still want to hide as well the contour lines of the mesh, how can I override them.

2° Any clue to simplify the view of doors in section view? Too much lines on that section.
gdford
Advisor
The quality of sections are dependent on the methods and level of detail of your modeling.
In section many people will copy the live detail in the section and paste it off to the side. Copy and pasting in section and elevations turns your 3D objects into 2D lines. Move/Drag copy will copy live objects. Now you can delete and modify whatever you want. Of course now your also locked into updating in 2D what may change in 3D. this method is clearly a mixed blessing. I try to get my sections to look good enough at 1/2 scale and then 2D detail out everything that needs more explanation. if you go the 2D dress-up method i strongly suggest that you put your additional 2D work on a special layer, use a special color pen so to keep track of just what has changed, and to keep the 2D work at the same elevation to the right or left of the live section. also having key elevation guidelines stretched between the two areas will help you keep track of changes in the model.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Learn and get certified!