Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Witness Line Gap Changes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I swear I saw this subject before, but the Search couldn't find anything.

I am working on an AC10 project that is in Teamwork, and I'm finding that the witness line gap keeps changing. When we dimension, the gap is set to 6 points, but a few days later when we go back to work on an area or we print out a check set, the gap are all set to huge numbers, like 3243 points -- it's always different. This is happening on floor plans, sections, and details, and is completely random. I haven't been able to determine the cause yet. Setting them back to 6 is wasting a lot of time because they keep changing back.

What causes them to do that, and how do I keep them from changing?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using V. 11 now.
I can't remeer if this is the same, but it seems to me it is.

Your dimension settings are saved with your view settings, and it sounds like your dimension settings are probably set to custom in each view, so they are changing.
If you set a dimension style in your view, it may take care of this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, it's 5 months later and I'm working in AC11. I just had the same problem happen. I opened the project I've been working in for 3 weeks and all the witness line gaps were changed from 8 to 512!:roll: I fixed them all, did a little work, then saved and closed. I went back in about an hour later to print the floor plans and all the witness line gaps were changed from 8 to 32! That is incredibly annoying! It's not part of the dimension settings because I always use named dimension sets. Any ideas?

(Hmmm...it's interesting that it's choosing binary numbers. Coincidence?)
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Jay wrote:
/...... Any ideas?
/........
Jay, is this occurring when you use Drawing Manager to update?

I have now stopped using DM and update placed drawings from
layout. I was getting all my witness lines extending to crazy lengths
after using DM.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod wrote:
Jay, is this occurring when you use Drawing Manager to update?
Nope. The last time it changed, I just jumped into each layout and let the AutoUpdate do its thing. That's when I noticed that it had changed. Also, today it's holding the right number -- at least so far.
Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE

In the past two weeks I have watch the witness line gap change to 32, 64, 128, 512, 2834.65 and 2. I have seen some of these numbers multiple times. Sometimes it changes two or three times in the same day. Once it changed the gaps on one story different than the gaps on the other stories. I still haven't found a 'trigger'.
Jay wrote:
UPDATE

In the past two weeks I have watch the witness line gap change to 32, 64, 128, 512, 2834.65 and 2. I have seen some of these numbers multiple times. Sometimes it changes two or three times in the same day. Once it changed the gaps on one story different than the gaps on the other stories. I still haven't found a 'trigger'.
It has started happening to me on AC 11 1210, solo project, metric units. Every now and then I open the file to find the witness lines extending into the neighborhood. Didn't pay attention yesterday, the latest screwed up value for the witness line *length* (I am using the third witness line option, uniform length --so that's I guess why I am getting the problem in the length and not in the gap) was 1000 mm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ANOTHER UPDATE:

A Graphisoft tech confirmed that this problem is a bug. It will be fixed in the next Patch -- but it will be a few weeks before it is released.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Thanks for checking with the techs. Hopefully the patch comes out soon. I've oddly just started having this problem in AC11 build 1210, and I have a deadline! All my dimensions are changing before my eyes! Augh!

Now I have to apologize to my designers that I was yelling at for screwing up the settings. My bad!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys...

I have a similar problem. I dimension my openings to the markers and / or centerlines of the marker objects. I see the extension line gaps change all the time, and correct them once in a while (if I have a major revision plot set to make, etc.). This was the case in AC9 and it's still doing it in AC12. It's always irked me, and it would be nice to see it fixed. I agree; the dimensions in AC are volatile in their graphic representation. Add my vote to getting it remedied.

I also get mixed results when I drag-a-copy of a rack of dimensions. Sometimes the extension line gaps don't update on the new copy.

I've never had trouble where I'm dimensioning to wall reference lines, wall intersections, slabs or any other entities... just the door / window markers.