Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layers

Zdenko
Booster

trying to make some sense out of layers (find it cumbersome). will do my best to explain with snapshots as an example only.

1. i have isolated my plan view, using hide layer command on multiple elements, to only show sill plate and temporarily copied over and will relocate on top of my tji's in 3d mode.

2. I select them and view them in 3d

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 9.02.33 AM.png

3. now all i want to do is turn back on the tji floor joists, sill plate & ledger board and a few others. i open the layer box and click the eye to turn on. after hitting OK nothing happens? why?

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 9.04.40 AM.png

4. some additional thoughts, is there an easier way to isolate a single layer like an "isolate layer" (works in both 2d/3d) command and not sure if ac has something similar that.

5. why do i now need to go back into model space and then try to get the elements i need to show in 3d? i'm sure ac probably does it differently, but this seems to be such a waste of time. i did some search for help but did not find it specific to what i was trying to accomplish. layer combinations seems to be how ac operates and i already have a book load of combinations. any suggestions and this is all i wanted to show at the end of the day...

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 9.46.53 AM.png

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1
2 REPLIES 2
runxel
Legend

@Zdenko wrote:

2. i select them and view in 3d

3. now all i want to do is turn back on the tji floor joists, sill plate & ledger board and a few others. i open the layer box and click the eye to turn on. after hitting OK nothing happens? why?

Because that essentially is a temporary isolation. Not by layer but by selection of elements.

You will see the tab's title to be "[3D / Selection]" instead of "[3D / Everything]" (or simliar wording, I'm not on an english version).

Hit "cmd + 3" again to see everything.

I suggest to look into "tab linking" as well. It's a bit hidden under "experimentory features" but nothing breaks, so no clue why GS still thinks so after 7 or so versions.

@Zdenko wrote:

4. some additional thoughts, is there an easier way to isolate a single layer like an "isolate layer" (works in both 2d/3d) command and not sure if ac has something similar that.

Use the "layer switch palette" – or just use a keyboard shortcut to show only the selected layer and hide all others.

Note: The "Archicad" layer can't be hidden, just like the "0" layer in Autocad.

@Zdenko wrote:

5. why do i now need to go back into model space and then try to get the elements i need to show in 3d? i'm sure ac probably does it differently, but this seems to be such a waste of time. i did some search for help but did not find it specific to what i was trying to accomplish. layer combinations seems to be how ac operates and i already have a book load of combinations. any suggestions and this is all i wanted to show at the end of the day...

I think you need some proper training (no offense), but the tips above will already be enough to work much more efficiently.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs |

«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

no offense taken 😀

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1