BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Datasmith plugin for Archicad 27 and Twinmotion 2022?

alexliz23
Booster

I have looked and failed to locate a Datasmith plugin for the current Archicad but an older Twinmotion - I have 2022.1.2 (I don't have 2023.2.2). Anyone could point me to the right location, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

It seems that the latest DataSmith Exporter for Archicad only support TwinMotion 2023.1 and 2023.2. And its previous versions support only Archicad 26:

https://www.twinmotion.com/en-US/plugins/archicad

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There must be something wrong with that specific file. I would contact your local reseller and ask for their help in finding the source of the problem.

Solution

If you are in your 3D window, it should be there as a format option when you Save As. It’s a default item in the list.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

It seems that the latest DataSmith Exporter for Archicad only support TwinMotion 2023.1 and 2023.2. And its previous versions support only Archicad 26:

https://www.twinmotion.com/en-US/plugins/archicad

Thank you Laszlo. Yes, that's what I had also concluded looking at the TM website. I was hoping I was wrong : )

That's a big problem on this occasion - Archicad keeps reporting 'Cannot save Plan file.' when I do a Save as... and select 'Archicad 26 Project'. I have tried all possible options (ie Compress file or not; Convert library objects backward or not). I thought there might be a particular element in the project file, so I deleted everything and then deleted all layers; no joy. l thought it might be an attribute, so I deleted everything under 'Element Attributes' in my project (I made a copy and worked off that): Profiles, Composites, Zones, Lines, Pens and Color, Fills, Surfaces, Building Materials, you name it. I left nothing in the project file. I even deleted everything in Project Info, all Views, all Master Layouts.

The now empty file still fails to save a v26 copy of itself. I am therefore stuck. I can use the free current Twinmotion 2023.2.2 Community Edition version, of course; however, it isn't open for commercial use (but I do have a licensed seat of 2022, you see).

Any idea what may be causing my Archicad to trip up on this?

PS I realize this would be better off in a different post/forum area, but it's stemming from the question at the top.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There must be something wrong with that specific file. I would contact your local reseller and ask for their help in finding the source of the problem.

There are a lot of inherent issues using a direct link plug-in from ArchiCAD to Twinmotion. You may already be aware of them, but my strong suggestion is to use the FBX exporter and simply import/refresh as needed. It works like a charm and you won't be locked out of new Twinmotion updates every time there is an ArchiCAD upgrade.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Thanks Rex - where do I find the FBX exporter in Archicad 27, please? I looked in File > Save as... but didn't find it in the formats offered. I did find an FBX importer in Libraries and Objects, but no way to export.

EDIT: I stumbled at this link (in another thread here):

https://graphisoft.com/product-roadmap/fbx-export-import

According to this, FBX Export/Import is 'Released'. Does this mean I should be able to find it somewhere in my AC27INT but I'm being blind?

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
Solution

If you are in your 3D window, it should be there as a format option when you Save As. It’s a default item in the list.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Perfect, thank you!

I can't believe I hadn't tried the Save as... from the 3D window...

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!