BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

FONTS from AC(Win) to AC(Mac) in PANTHER

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a strange font conversion problem and it seems to be related with Panther.

I got an AC(Win) file from Russia, texts are cyrillic Arial which I don’t have in my Mac. Yes I know that in multiplatform exchange AC recognizes fonts by it’s exact name. Now when I don’t have it, Panther uses it’s system font Lucida G, which contains also cyrillic alphabet. BUT Lucida’s character coding (unicode?) is different than cyrillic 1251, so I get cyrillic letters and lots of them, but content is some gibberish, not readable. I cannot ghange it with any of my available fonts.

May be I would have succeeded in MacOS 9, but now I haven’t installed Classic (and not going to, I have spent so much money to SW updates, grrr!)

What to do? I called Apple help in Ireland, hah waste of time. I tried to cheat Panther and changed the name for a cyrillic font copy, but the actual name seems to be somewhere deeper. How about this: If I ask my Russian colleague to send his windows TTF fonts, do they work in Mac? I’m not going to russify my Mac any further, reading and printing documents out is enough.

Any good ideas? Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I know, it should work. I run both OS10.2 on a G5 and OS 9.1 on a G4. I'm not sure about OS10, but OS9.1 will if he can send you a TrueType font, should also work on OSX, but I haven't run into this issue on a project on OS10 yet. I had this with a Chinese font a couple of years ago. Just make sure he sends the file with the correct name.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
As far as I know, it should work.
Yes now I know WinTTFs work in Mac. I have asked him to send this font, but no reply, no comment, no font, seems to be a national habit there. I have got two different cyrillic WinArials from my colleagues here but so far Lucida G rules.
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There is no way to properly convert any non-Western fonts from Mac-PC and vice versa! I live in Croatia and there were lots of trouble with sharing MS Office files between platforms until Office 2004 for Mac was released which supports Unicode encoding...

Same goes for ArchiCAD - until Unicode is fully implemented, it won't be possible to share files w/out trouble!
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Anonymous
Not applicable
MarinRacic wrote:
There is no way to properly convert any non-Western fonts from Mac-PC and vice versa! I live in Croatia and there were lots of trouble with sharing MS Office files between platforms until Office 2004 for Mac was released which supports Unicode encoding...

Same goes for ArchiCAD - until Unicode is fully implemented, it won't be possible to share files w/out trouble!
[sigh], waiting, thanks.
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Check out the thead at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3785

Looks like AC9 is going to have Unicode as standard!
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Learn and get certified!