Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

archiForma gdl

Anonymous
Not applicable
when trying to save my archiForma objects it only seems to go as far as saving a .mod file and does not create my object. any ideas as to why this is happening?
many thanks
jonathan
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
More information needed: what version of ArchiForma and how are you saving?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi Karl,
archiForma 2.0.
I select all then click on the save button in the archiforma pallette. I get a message 'please wait' followed by a few blinks'n flashes but no final 'object has been created' message although I do get to select name and where to save etc. The 3D window stuff doesn't flash-up either.
I have in previously successful (although only sometimes after many attempts) gone through this process several times before finally getting my object saved. So maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I'm a beginner with this plugin. I have removed all 'setting-out' fills and lines etc otherwise I would not get even as far as the 'file name' dialog box. The 'zoom' thingy under image etc pallette is unchecked also.
many thanks
jonathan
Dwight
Newcomer
Isee that you remain on 8.1, but a similar approach to this will work:

Saving the object from the 3D window.

the attached shows how in 9.0 - similar in 8.1
archiforma.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Jonathan,

Hmmm. A mystery. I've found the save button to work perfectly, but have only gone that route a few times, so no doubt there is something about your selection set that is objected to. I suggest that you contact Cigraph/Fabrizio directly as he will give you the quickest resolution.

Dwight,

The 'save' feature of ArchiForma 2.0 is more powerful than saving from the 3D window. It automatically creates parameters for the object as well as a preview image. But, you're right, at least Jonathan could save something while he figures this issue out.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all again!
OK, so I sent off my file to Fabrizio. He suggested I copy and paste the archiForma extrusions into a new document which I did but it still failed.
So I went the whole-mile and also created a new template, then redrew then saved.
And it worked!!
My 'create new document' by 'use latest settings' selection was the problem. My 'use latest settings' selection must be creating an already corrupted new file. Guess it's best to go back to absolute zero when no explanation turns up. You live and learn.
thanks to all for your time
yours
jonathan
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for reporting back, Jonathan. There's a good tip for all of us in your experience.

Glad it worked out in the end. 😉

Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
got this reply from Fabrizio a short while ago... they really work hard with customer's problems and must be congradulated for tireless effort!!
turns out I didn't have the hotspots layer...better read it yourself...

Dear Jonathan,

after a while I found the trouble!
BTW it was our fault... because we should think to any possible ArchiCAD
environment and, just in this case, we didn't think something like this.

The trouble is that in your file the default layer for the hotspot is
missing!!!
When you save as ArchiCAD object, ArchiForma uses the Hotspot default layer
in order to insert some hotspots needed for the object 2D symbol creation.
Usually, there is a default Hotspot layer (like about all the other tools)
but in your case, your PLN file doesn't have a default layer for the hotspot
tool (if you click on the Hotspot tool icon you can see the layer is
missing).

This causes the trouble.
We will upload at www.cigraph-store.com a new maintenance release in the
next weeks...

Fabrizio Diodati
Architect
Software Development Manager

so there you go, seems everyone got to learn something
yours once again
jonathan