BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

macOS Sonoma Caps Lock Issue

lasotaarchitects
Participant

I think I found a work around to the Caps Lock issue in ArchiCAD 27 (and potentially other older versions) with people working on macOS Sonoma. If you disable the new Sonoma caps lock function through a copy and paste in Terminal then it disables it throughout the OS. I did not like that new indicator showing up in AC or in other applications so I am happy to see it go. I copy and pasted from the link below (also the commands below) into to terminal and now I can keep my caps lock on. Hurray! 

Of course this required messing with the OS code so always words of caution with utilizing this (at your own risk). So far everything for me is stable and I will report back if I notice any issues with the OS, AC, or other software.

Link for code found:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77248249/disable-macos-sonoma-text-insertion-point-cursor-caps-l...

Code to copy and paste in to Terminal below. Might ask for password to after copy and paste. Then restart computer and should work. 

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Adam Lasota - AIA NCARB
Lasota Architects Inc.
User since AC 12 - Previous BIM Manager
AC 27 on M1 Max Macbook Pro and iMac Intel running Sonoma
22 REPLIES 22
lasotaarchitects
Participant

Very stable AC27 on both M1 Max Macbook Pro and iMac intel both updated to Sonoma after running this script. Super happy with the performance of 27. 

Adam Lasota - AIA NCARB
Lasota Architects Inc.
User since AC 12 - Previous BIM Manager
AC 27 on M1 Max Macbook Pro and iMac Intel running Sonoma
clints
Booster

For people that know nothing about code, like myself, those are actually two different inputs of code. Paste in the first "sudo...." hit enter. Put in your password and hit enter. Then paste in the second line of code and hit enter. It will say something about creating a directory and you're done. 

ArchiCad 27 | Mac Studio 2023 w/ 27" mac monitor | M2 Ultra | 64 GB | Sonoma 14.2.1 | Indiana
Ebatte
Booster

This does appear to workaround the issue and if validated by GS, it should be posted as such until a fix is implemented in AC 26-27.

Eric Batte
Principal, MG Architects
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB
AC 6.5-27
4dProof
Advisor

can we get an update on this? do we need to "fix our computer", or is GS working on a more reliable update that does not involve me trying to guide 150 AC user through the Terminal app work-around?
I just saw the release notes for 27 4060, and the 3 fixes do not address this. I am getting questions about this every day, and while many users are comfortable addressing this, and several of my clients have IT guys that can handle fixing the OS side of things, this is just too much to ask from the average user.
Personally, I have seen this crash almost hourly. Either the software works on the current OS, or it doesn't; and fixing the OS as a work around just isn't the most viable option. Any chance we will see a GS end hotfix soon?

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
4dProof
Advisor

giving this a bump... because I've had about 20 crashes today, my clients are all experiencing hourly crashes... frustrations are climbing at an insane level.
here's hoping there is a GS side fix soon. While appreciate the solution, reprogramming an OS just isn't normal for most people. Avoiding caps lock works, but I go from about 180wpm to maybe 20 if I have to hold shift to type anything.
One of my clients has discussed putting projects on hold or spending weeks redoing an entire plan set to not have all caps as the plan standard; which is absurd.

heres me, begging for a GS update that makes 26/27 compatible with the new OS

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
clints
Booster

Are there any fonts that only exist as capital letters? Again, not an ideal solution, but a more expedient workaround until apple gives you a toggle or GS fixes it? 

ArchiCad 27 | Mac Studio 2023 w/ 27" mac monitor | M2 Ultra | 64 GB | Sonoma 14.2.1 | Indiana
Tamas Gaspar
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Editing Autotext Label while Caps Lock is active crashes Archicad on macOS 14 Sonoma. This issue is registered in our database with the ID DEF-15169, and will be fixed in Archicad 27.2.0, which is planned to be released as a preview in the beginning of February. The corresponding fix to Archicad 26 (Update 5-Preview) can be expected two weeks later.
Switching off the Caps Lock while editing Autotext Labels is a workaround till these packages become available.
For further macOS Sonoma related news, please check our regarding article.
Thank you for the patience with this!

Tamás Gáspár

Not good enough Tamas.  This needs to be fixed and pushed out immediately.  Even if it needs its own dedicated patch.  It is a MASSIVE issue that is constantly impacting productivity for thousands of your clients.  It's not a 'nice to have', it's basic functionality.  Pressing the caps lock key is as ingrained in all of us as breathing.  You can't just expect us all to overcome 40 years of muscle memory and not press the caps lock key.  We do it all day without thinking about it.  We have all lost time and had to redo lost work because of this.  It's costing us money and sanity, not to mention confidence in graphisoft.

The fact that this has been a known issue for months and has not been addressed by Graphisoft is extremely disappointing.

Fix it. 

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
clints
Booster

Maybe it's a nomenclature thing, but it's not autotext that is the issue for us. We don't use autotext for anything, to be perfectly honest. It's regular ol' normal text boxes that's the issue. Just didn't want them to fix the wrong thing and think they saved the world. 

Learn and get certified!