BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can an object automatically cut a wall using its material properties?

Rastko Pecar
Booster

Hi, I want to model the insulation strip that gets placed in a window/door opening and Purenit "pedestal" that supports doors and large windows on the facade. Ive scripted a custom GDL object as shown on the attached images but forgot to remember that objects cannot automatically cut trough construction elements using the objects material priorities (they are not shown on the attached Autointersect table). Is there a GDL command that would make an object cut other AC tools (slabs, walls, ect.) automatically so I don't have to subtract these objects from the walls using SEOs?

Another question: does anyone have any examples/documentation of how to make an object a subtype of another object (like a door handle is to a door)?

The result I'm pursuing is to to speed up the modeling for construction stage. If I can make this custom object, maybe even the adjoining concrete reinforcments as part of a window that would be great because I could model and detail the whole assembly in one step instead of 3+. I would also like to schedule all the components (window, insulation, concrete, opening size) with accurate quantities.

Suggetistons much appreciated!

Thanks!

RastkoPecar_0-1711716578904.png 

RastkoPecar_1-1711716598806.png

Operating system used: Windows 10,0,22631 build 22631

9 REPLIES 9
Rastko Pecar
Booster

If this is not possible (making objects automatically cut trough walls, ect.) is there another way to making such parametric assemblies? Hotlinks maybe?

Karl Ottenstein

The materials of an object cannot cut a wall.  But, an object modeled with elements as you show (vs coded with GDL - which belongs in the Developer > GDL forum) can have a Window or Door subtype which will then cut an opening in  a host wall - ignoring all materials of the object and the wall - based on a slab with ID "wallhole" that is part of the object if the opening is to be non-rectangular or is not to be the external bounds of a rectangular object.

I just saw that your post notes that you've scripted your object (vs modeling with walls/slabs and doing a 'save as' as an object).  I'll move this thread to the Developer > GDL forum if you want a scripting answer.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

Make it a window subtype as Karl mentioned above.
You can also check an object I created which does almost everything you need (except purenit base), with additional plaster layer and ability to use it with corner windows. For further explanation you can contact me directly.

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview

Okay, thank you.

mthd
Ace

Would cutting a wall with an opening first, deduct the materials and then placing your object into it work ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Miha, how do you place your object in the project? Using the object tool, via window settings (selecting the appropriate closure type) or something else?

Thank you for sharing

Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

With window tool.

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation with Archicad AddOn :: rushing to publish a beta preview

I used an approach similar to your recommendation in a renovation scenario (demolishing existing door, making a "virtual" new wall and placed the new door into it) which worked, was a bit messy (layers, schedules, display options), but acceptable because it was a specific situation. In the current case I'm looking for a more "minimalist" approach that would work in many circumstances.

Cool ! 😎 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!