BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Cannot Paste Image into Preview Picture

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to work through the Archicad GDL tutorial Alvar Aalto Coffee table example. My problem is that I am unable to paste the image into the Picture Preview window of the GDL Master Window. Every time I "Copy" "Edit" the 3D image I get the "Warning" Clipboard empty choose cut or copy. I must have attempted this 20 times with no success. What gives??? Need Help!
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Are you using the 'flat' marquee to select the part of the image to copy first?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,
Thanks for your response. According to the tutorial I was to use the arrow to select object. However, in my many iterations, I used the Marquee to select as well. Not sure what you mean by "flat" marquee.
Karl Ottenstein
Sorry. Was thinking about normal 3D window. If you are in the object 3D window or rendering, then the cursor will be a '+' shape and just drag to create a marquee, then copy. Open Preview Picture window, paste.

If that doesn't do it, tell us which version of AC you are doing this in, and where to find the tutorial that you're talking about.

Thanks,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,
The web address for the tutorial is listed below and goes from page 19-32 referencing Coffee Table 907B. I'm using a Windows Vista computer and Archicad 12.
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/training_guides/#gdl

Someone must have a simple routine documented for this part of creating GDL objects that will show the picture preview.

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
The way I usually make a preview picture is the following.
In the library part editing environment, go to the 3D view mode->
3D window settings and set the the width and height of the 3D
window the same so that the window is a perfect square.
Open the 3D view of the object and using the + cursor,
swipe from the extreme upper left corner of the window to
the extreme lower right corner. This will draw a selection marque.
Next go to edit-> copy and a dialogue comes up with options to
copy/save as "scaled drawing", 'drawing", or "painting screen shot".
Select "painting screen shot" and hit OK. Open the Preview Picture
window and paste.
Peter Devlin
Karl Ottenstein
The process for a rendering is pretty much the same as given by Peter, except there won't be a dialog asking about what to copy - you will just get the marquee area on the clipboard as a bitmap.

I'm slowly downloading the 600 MB tutorial file to see if there is an error in the instructions in there. About time I took a look at some of these tutorials...surprised to see how many there are and that GS never issued announcements when the new ones appeared...

Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Robert,

The instructions on page 30 are pretty clear and work correctly - and the video for Chapter 2 part 4 shows exactly what to do. If you have double-clicked on the 2.11 view before trying to copy, then there should be no problem.

Would never have guessed that that is the technique they would have used in the tutorial...(copying a pre-placed photo)...

When one does not have a photo of the desired real world object, or wants an image based on the GDL object itself, then Peter's or my notes below are the ticket. It is easy and fast.

Cheers,
Karl
Picture 1.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have read all 192 pages of the file "Creating GDL Objects e-Guide.pdf"
and I must say that it is not very useful for learning GDL. For all it's
pages it does not contain enough information. If the author of this thread
wants to learn GDL I would highly recommend "The GDL Cookbook 3" and
"The GDL Cookbook 4" by David Nicholson-Cole.
"The GDL Cookbook 3" in PDF format is available at David's site.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sbe/cookbook/CB_download/cookbook3download.html
and "The GDL Cookbook 4" in PDF format is available here.
http://www.archicad.ca/?p=84
Peter Devlin
Brett Brown
Advocate
Same Theme, I have fills saved as objects. I thought I could just select those fills,copy them, then paste them into the objects preview window. But what ever I do I get the same message ""Warning" Clipboard empty choose cut or copy".Obviously this is not the way to do it. Anybody like to enlighten me? Thanks
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Learn and get certified!