BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

US Library Door Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it just me or are the US library doors and windows simply hopeless?

The main problem I am having is that when I select "custom" as the door panel type I am not able to enter anything into the custom field. I have tried in both the AC13 and AC12 libraries.

I had the Cadimage tools installed earlier to test them, and they had inserted their own (uneditable) panel type. Perhaps this is a residual problem?

Is this working for other folks? Do I have to do a more aggressive removal of Door and Window Builder?

BTW: Have others noticed that the GS door and window parts are now script locked? I understand that they don't want to get support calls about parts someone has modified, but it prevents me from investigating the issue
17 REPLIES 17
Erika Epstein
Booster
All
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Matthew wrote:
The main problem I am having is that when I select "custom" as the door panel type I am not able to enter anything into the custom field. I have tried in both the AC13 and AC12 libraries.
This is a new feature, which is actually a very good one - other than a bit of name/term mismatching.

The text box for the Custom Panel Name is no longer a free-text entry field as in earlier versions. As you know, that led to various errors with users making typos and wondering why their door panels did not appear.

Instead, it provides a drop-down list of all loaded custom panels (called 'door leafs' in the Save Custom Component dialog) in your library - loaded or (in 13) embedded.

Thus, you can simply select form the available panels/leafs. If none are defined - which seems to be the problem you're having - then none show up. If you have "old" panels, you'll have to change their subtype so that they appear in the list.

The scripts are not locked AFAIK - they are just more obtuse than ever before. If you look at the Master Script, you'll see that the D1 Entrance door has this:
call "gs_general_door_macro_USA" parameters all gs_doorcode = "D1 Entrance"
So, you have to open the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink macro to see what is happening... and then you'll discover all of the other macros being called and wonder if it is possible for any human to sort any of it out! 😞

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
The main problem I am having is that when I select "custom" as the door panel type I am not able to enter anything into the custom field. I have tried in both the AC13 and AC12 libraries
We had this problem in an AC12 TW file -- the recently created component was not in the drop down list -- tried reloading libraries but this did not help -- only after sending and receiving did the component show up in the dialog.
Karl wrote:
So, you have to open the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink macro to see what is happening...
Yes -- talk about putting all of your eggs in one basket! I have to customize ALL of the AC doors (primarily because we needed a unique symbol for existing openings, and we MUST have pairs of doors list correctly: PR 3'-0" x 7'-0" NOT 6'-0" x 7'-0"). It would be a disaster if GS begins to lock the scripts -- I hope this is not the case.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking about door panels, why are all the frame widths, panes, etc grayed out? I may be missing something, but currently I have alot of custom panels for a matter of a 6" stile vs 5" etc. Crazy.

BTW, Did you notice that they re-wrote many, but not all of the variable names from 12 to 13? Talk about code management issues! It seriously boogles the mind.

As proof of the madness: Door panel "Glass Framed" is upside down! The glass in the lower half and the wood panel is the upper half. Code is rewritten for items that haven't changed - what a great waste of resources and an obvious source of error. I'd call that an "unforced error". Grabbing defeat from the jaws of success, oh, did I get that backwards??

Recently I posted "AC13 - traditional window issues", lacking a full response I emailed my vendor. Her entire response, "I have forwarded your request to Support @ Graphisoft as we can not assist with the answer to this. The settings of the windows have become very detailed."

Oh really?

Snapped
PS To Laura: instead of rewriting all the doors, just write a new marker style. See this thread: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=153685&highlight=#153685
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
snapcrackle wrote:
BTW, Did you notice that they re-wrote many, but not all of the variable names from 12 to 13? Talk about code management issues! It seriously boogles the mind.
I suspect this may have to do with some future functionality (e.g. the hidden "New" and "Demolition" parameters in the AC12 doors).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys. I haven't used the standard parts in so long this is the first time I've seen this. Definitely an improvement now that I know.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
snapcrackle wrote:
PS To Laura: instead of rewriting all the doors, just write a new marker style.
Sorry -- doesn't work for me -- in commercial architecture, we follow the National CAD Standard -- the door is identified by the room it secures and the size is scheduled.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
The scripts are not locked AFAIK - they are just more obtuse than ever before. If you look at the Master Script, you'll see that the D1 Entrance door has this...
When I open the "D1 13.gsm" part (or others) there is nothing visible in either the 2D or 3D script windows. The macros are editable, but as far as I can tell the main parts are no longer open code. Is there something else I am missing here?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Karl wrote:
The scripts are not locked AFAIK - they are just more obtuse than ever before. If you look at the Master Script, you'll see that the D1 Entrance door has this...
When I open the "D1 13.gsm" part (or others) there is nothing visible in either the 2D or 3D script windows. The macros are editable, but as far as I can tell the main parts are no longer open code. Is there something else I am missing here?
The whole object is controlled by the gs_general_door_macro. The other scripts are empty! The only job it does is to specify which gs_doorcode to use.

As an exercise I analysed the one of the simplest windows in the library - W1 Casement 13, and mapped out all the macros that were called from each script and how they interacted with other macros. I counted approx 37 individual macros possibly involved just for a window! It is difficult to give a definitive list as some macros are only called when certain windows are chosen, but it certainly highlights the complexity. It's amazing that there are so few bugs, and it's understandable why they can slip through occasionally.
Learn and get certified!