BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Window sill lines in plan

Barry Kelly

I have never used the default Archicad windows (and doors).

But I have a question about them.

Are the sill lines in plan automatic?

For example, do the sill lines disappear when the sill of the window is at the base of the wall.

In my experimentation, this only happens when the wall and the window are both 'Projected with Overhead' floor plan display - which is not what I want.

When either or both the wall or window is set to 'Symbolic', I am finding the sill lines are not automatic, and have to be turned on/off manually.

BarryKelly_1-1711509276306.png

I like both my walls and windows to be 'symbolic'.

I am just wondering if I am missing a setting?

Do you really have to manually set these sill lines for every window?

FYI - The doors and windows I use were based on the version 6.5 default objects, but have been heavily customised since.

We had a custom library created for us back then, and I have been modifying it ever since.

Even when set as symbolic, the window sill lines automatically hide when the sill is at the base of the wall, and show when it is not.

Barry.

Operating system used: Windows 10

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
5 REPLIES 5
mthd
Ace

From what I understand “projected” means looking from the top down in this case from the cut line. So in AC27 if you change your window settings to “projected” for the full height window, the inside sill line will disappear. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Yes, I understand what projected is.

There is no brickwork below the window, so I will not see any sill lines.

But the thing is, I don't want projected, as I want to see the symbolic view of the doors and windows.

I want to use the scripted 2D view of the doors and windows and not a cut view of the 3D model.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Ok, I tested an old Australian Essential Library full height awning window in AC 27 and those sill lines remain despite these settings I have used below.

I set my walls to “cut only” and my AC27 full height window to “projected” and the sill lines disappear on both sides. (Old AEL windows do not comply or play nice)

In the end as long as they display the way I want them to, then I am ok.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
LucasAdams
Newcomer

Any update?

@LucasAdams wrote:

Any update?

From me? - no.

As I said, I don't use the default library doors and windows, so I am not sure if I am missing something.

But as far as I can see, if you have 'Symbolic' windows, then you have to control the brick sill lines automatically.

Only when not 'Symbolic', will the sill lines show/hide based on the height of the window sill to the base of the wall.

So if anyone knows of a way to automate the sill lines for the default Archicad windows when using 'Symbolic' plan display, please let me know.

Fortunately, I have my own door and window objects that work automatically for me in 'Symbolic' display.

But something has happened to the view in the layouts in version 25+ that is different to how they display in version 22.

In the 2D plan view they are identical, just different when viewed in the layouts.

It is something to do with the WALLHOLE2 command, I was just trying to figure out what it is.

So I was wanting to test the default windows, but they don't seem to be automatic for the sill lines, which is what I need to compare.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!