Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12 will not install on our "platform"

jzarmin
Newcomer
Hi, I am trying to install AC 12 but the installer is telling me that it cannot install on our "platform". We are using G5 Power PC Mac's w/ OS 10.4.8.

The AC 12 printed literature states that one must have OS 10.4 or 10.5.

Do we need to upgrade our OS to install AC 12?

thanks

Joe
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
See the download link (US edition) in this post:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=124010#124010

Apparently many (most? all?) of the US DVD's were burned incorrectly as far as the PPC folder is concerned. Have not read any complaints about Windows or MacTel.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jzarmin
Newcomer
I think we found what our problem was.

Our video card does not have enough VRAM. The AC 12 literature specifies 256 MB of VRAM and my computer has only a 64 MB Video card.

Aha! Time to upgrade.

thanks
Joe
Karl Ottenstein
I doubt it - I'm sure that you need the download. My G4 only has 64 MB memory and 12 runs on it. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
jzarmin wrote:

Our video card does not have enough VRAM. The AC 12 literature specifies 256 MB of VRAM and my computer has only a 64 MB Video card.

Aha! Time to upgrade.

thanks
Joe
To second Karls comment, those hardware requirements are for running ArchiCAD but there is no checking during install which would not let the installer run in case any of the hardware components is not adequate. So it should install even when your hardware is inadequate.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
jzarmin wrote:

Aha! Time to upgrade.

thanks
Joe
Joe:

What is your computer? I have a Mac PPC1.8 G5 and has been stated, the DVDs don't have the correct installer (even if they have the correct PPC installer directions.) You can download the correct installer or wait as GS is sending out new dvds.

Zoom in and zoom out is VERY slow on my machine as it the graphics card is an NVIDIA FX 5200 with only 64 mb vram. I didn't see where 256 vram was needed. Time to upgrade!

If anyone reading this has an idea on a graphics card for a PPC G5 Mac, I would appreciate it.

Don Lee