BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad fills layout unmanageable

cocoloco
Advocate

Hi!

I will try my best to explain the issue with fills I have. 

We add fills on top of elevations, for tiles it’s important that the fills (tile size) is layer out logically.  By logically I mean that if I have space 24x12, and I use tile that is 24x12, that it will use for that space only one tile instead of two.

so far I tried all different “layout options” from the archicad selection but neither one would fit the tile in the space that is designed for the tile. It’s important for us for the tile to be well layed out so the trades understand it, they would not guess it’s random and would make mistakes.

if the fills aren’t working like this we would have to do all of this manually, and then I could as well just use sketchup for free .. 

does anyone have solution for this? 

 in photo attached the tile is as mentioned 12x24” and the width for the space is 24”, so why it doesn’t show just one tile?? (Layout setting/spread doesn’t help)

IMG_1195.jpeg

MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)
11 REPLIES 11
Scott Boyd Turner
Enthusiast

This is easily achievable:

turn on fill handle display

ScottBoydTurner_0-1707867066725.png

set fill origin to 'Link to Fill Origin' 

ScottBoydTurner_1-1707867140369.png

drag origin to where you want the fill pattern to start

ScottBoydTurner_2-1707867220435.png

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB

For elements in plan with a cover fill what Scott has shown is the best way to get plans to represent the tile or product layout correct. For elevations I suggest going into the 3D window and using the align 3D command. Make sure that you have the element selected first before selecting the command. Then you can set your setout point for the tiling on the walls, removing the need to overlay 2D fills for tiles on your internal elevations.

NathanHildebrandt_0-1707870161607.png

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

hi! Thank you for your response! I followed all, including turning on the fill handles which I hadn’t had on. But not working :/// this is what happends when I set it up to origin, and I confirm the tile is 24x12 .. I also tried the other options to layout … still showing 2 tiles instead of just one .  how come? 😞

IMG_1204.jpeg

I would go into the fill setting and check the grid size that has been set for the fill. One other thing to note which isn't a big thing, you have it set to cut fill, rather than cover fill. May not change things unless you have graphic overrides set up for specific views.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed

@Nathan Hildebrandt wrote:

For elevations I suggest going into the 3D window and using the align 3D command. Make sure that you have the element selected first before selecting the command. Then you can set your setout point for the tiling on the walls, removing the need to overlay 2D fills for tiles on your internal elevations.

The only problem with this is it will affect both sides of the wall.

So if you have a surface with a hatch pattern on the other side of the wall, it will move as well.

Works fine though if you only have a surface that has a hatch pattern on one side of the wall only.

Make sure you have 'vectorial hatching' option turned on in your elevation settings.

It will also affect the texture image (bricks, tiles) that you see in 3D with the Hardware acceleration (OpenGL) engine.

So 3D images will look good as well (but again maybe not on both sides of the wall).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

True. This is why I always model my wall and floor finishes as separate elements. 🙂

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed

thank you for letting me know! I am not as far as graphic overrides yet lol 😄 I looked at the tile setting and this is what I got. Do you see anything unusual that can affect the way the layout is laid?:D 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 5.53.37 PM.png

YOU ARE MODELING WALL AND FLOOR FINISHES???????? 😭 Omg i hope this is not standard. I still do my elevations old school, aka autocad. I prefer it and it's faster for me (we do visuals externally in another software so I don't mind). But... I still hope that the generic stuff, such as fills and such can be easily figured instead of modeled. I can't believe you are modeling it actually 

When you want a scaled hatch pattern like tiles, you want the fill to be set as "Scale with Plan"

BarryKelly_0-1707875994977.png

Then the pattern size should be set to reflect the size of the tile.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!