BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad saving multiple project files

David1
Participant

Hi. My archicad 24 is saving multiple copies of project files. This didn't happen prior to version 24. Does anyone know how to stop it happening?

I don't use the BIM add on by the way.

6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon

If saving to a "cloud service" that connection might be getting dropped and the cloud service is creating the multiple files. Usually Dropbox, iCloud or OneDrive behave correctly but there might be permission problems.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David1
Participant

Hi Eduardo,

Yes I'd read something along those lines on a previous thread here, but it didn't enlighten me much. I don't use dropbox. I am not aware of having any cloud service, or where to check, or how to disable it.

David1
Participant

Nor do I use BIM, albeit my archicad 24 may contain the opportunity. I'm not sure where I would go to, for example, 'switch off' something that is active in my archicad BIM?

Eduardo Rolon

"Not using BIM" does not make sense, if you use AC you are using BIM. If you mean that you are only drawing lines and fills and not modeling your project that still means that you are using a BIM authoring tool. Independently it shouldn't make a difference.

AFAIK the only issues AC has creating multiple files is when it doesn't have the correct permissions or there is latency when writing to a cloud service.

The other option is if you are running AC24 in an unsupported OS. 24 came out 3 years ago and if you are running it in Windows 10 (or latest Win version) or macOS 14 then it can misbehave. Since GS only updates the current version plus 1 before that means that 24 is unsupported and there is nothing that we can do except to run 24 in the OS that it was designed for.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

David1
Participant

Thanks Eduardo,

So, it seems I am passively using BIM without knowing it and even though I don't actively use BIM for any purpose. I mentioned BIM because in another discussion someone suggested switching something off in the AC BIM app and that this solved the multiple file saving issue for them. But I was unable to find where such a 'switch' might be.

Regarding my OS, I'm using Mac version 10.13.6.

AC 23 worked fine in this regard.

I wonder where on my system I might look to see if I am also passively using a cloud service, and where precisely I might be able to change the settings to see if that helps me.

I appreciate your suggestions.

David

Eduardo Rolon

If you are saving your folders to iCloud then that is one option.

Anyway I think 24 is not supported in macOS 13.6 so that could be another issue. Since most users in these forums normally upgrade AC yearly there might not be enough users with your same setup for that problem to happen to them too.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!