BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Back to basics...?

March_ Bruce
Booster
Reiterating & clarifying an earlier post, and to suggest improvements in what seems the most simple, basic functionality in what has become a now very complex application:

1.) Logical default pen weights accessible from the info box for every tool & that have some comprehensive rationale - we do produce drawings after all & archicad has great graphic potential that has seemingly been crippled by illogical, limited & obfuscated pen setup especially with library parts. There are only 3 pen weights in the first 10 pens & the majority of library parts. (Doh!)

I used to set up pens 1-10 as black from 0mm to 2.0mm weighting which offered WYSIWYG onscreen, numeric correllation to weight & scalability for small page output but the inefficiency of having to adjust every library part's penweights wore me out. Global resetting & referencing might assist yet every library upgrade or replacement might face similar issues.

That being said v9 did make some progress with the remaining pen allocations, whic show some sense of graphical order beyond what I assume is the modulo 8 pen plotter & autocad legacy.

2.) Slab edge material editing: I don't know of a building that doesn't have a hole cut in a slab somewhere - this is a most basic operation - usually for stairs - yet the material inside the cut remains as the exterior edge, for example if the exterior edge is brick - this wishlist item is so obvious it was emphatically communicated back when I was using 4.1, and is manifest in the beam tool so 'it is possible' but to no avail...

3.) Slab trimming to roof: Another most basic operation when doing an overhanging roof against the edge of a ceiling slab, sections could actually render with clean lines allowing detailing & prevent slabs from 'piercing' roofs - again very basic operation asked for in the early days (doh!)

4.) Functional stairs that actually work & are legal (ie meet codes) & have some precedent in the real world - honestly don't know how one could even walk up some of what stairmaker produces, especially winders... Simple stairs that don't need 45 parameters set up would be helpful...

5.) Windows: Limit faulty parameter settings (SE edition that give errors) as well as with a shallow arch window header & concrete/stone sills as are found in so many residences around the world - workaround for sills is 0" mortar but clumsy.

6.) Legacy Libraries: I find myself going back to v6.5 for things as basic as a wooden dining room table - why some parts are 'discontinued' I know not why - but library part management is for me one of the great liabilities of ArchiCAD...

Architects have enough to worry about without spending increasingly non-billable hours on this kind of tedious overhead... Reuse of past work is one of the essential rationalizations of the investment in CAD in the forst place...

7.) Mesh data import: While the mesh tools is a welcome improvement it would seem obvious that it should import xyz text survey data (station points) rather than users doing this manually. Offering 3d building modelling without easy 3d site modelling has always seemed somewhat ironic as a site is usually a component of a building (Doh! again)...

8.) Material selection: Basic if 3D rendering is a core activity, referencing materials by numbers that are hidden in the selection pop-up seems to increase selection difficulty - I don't know enough about limitations to suggest a fix, yet I know I am constantly seemingly battling material selection, legacy material management & custom surface mapping - and BTW what do C01-C14 represent?

9.) Legacy support: Constantly I find numerous flaws (bugs aren't usually that obvious) are never fixed, while Graphisoft pushes ahead with the 'next new version' I assume to generate upgrade cashflow - this trend seemed to increase with PC development & has inspired me to skip update cycles - this time v9 mac users will apparently get no Rosetta or Wintel support - I assume to encourage us to upgrade yet again while so many of basics per the above remain unresolved.

Two profitable colleagues I know who are still using ArchiCAD are on v6.5 & v7 in Mac OS-9 and the former with numerous keys is planning to move to AutoCAD as existing stations require replacement...

In summary I find some of the most basic construction tools & functions still have major flaws or room for improvement. Many of the above suggestions are longstanding concerns & leave me frustrated & scratching my head at many of the 'high end' archicad features (some of which I love) when I can't even easily put together a basic building model or adjust pen weights 'on the fly'...

As an early ArchiCAD user the question I keep asking is where is 'ease of use' now in Graphisoft's priority list...?
26 REPLIES 26
Djordje
Ace
I moved the message here, as it is not really a wish, but a good base for futher discussion.
March, wrote:

2.) Slab edge material editing: I don't know of a building that doesn't have a hole cut in a slab somewhere - this is a most basic operation - usually for stairs - yet the material inside the cut remains as the exterior edge, for example if the exterior edge is brick - this wishlist item is so obvious it was emphatically communicated back when I was using 4.1, and is manifest in the beam tool so 'it is possible' but to no avail...
I fully agree, however: you are of course aware that his can be done using SEO to cut the hole?
March, wrote:

3.) Slab trimming to roof: Another most basic operation when doing an overhanging roof against the edge of a ceiling slab, sections could actually render with clean lines allowing detailing & prevent slabs from 'piercing' roofs - again very basic operation asked for in the early days (doh!)

SEO again.
March, wrote:

4.) Functional stairs that actually work & are legal (ie meet codes) & have some precedent in the real world - honestly don't know how one could even walk up some of what stairmaker produces, especially winders... Simple stairs that don't need 45 parameters set up would be helpful...
Agreed.
March, wrote:

5.) Windows:
6.) Legacy Libraries:
Agreed.
March, wrote:

7.) Mesh data import: While the mesh tools is a welcome improvement it would seem obvious that it should import xyz text survey data (station points) rather than users doing this manually. Offering 3d building modelling without easy 3d site modelling has always seemed somewhat ironic as a site is usually a component of a building (Doh! again)...
ArchiTerra; once upon a time, ArchiSite. Inexpensive solution that works.
March, wrote:

8.) Material selection:
Agreed up to a point. Many different techniques exist ...
March, wrote:

9.) Legacy support: Constantly I find numerous flaws (bugs aren't usually that obvious) are never fixed, while Graphisoft pushes ahead with the 'next new version' I assume to generate upgrade cashflow - this trend seemed to increase with PC development & has inspired me to skip update cycles - this time v9 mac users will apparently get no Rosetta or Wintel support - I assume to encourage us to upgrade yet again while so many of basics per the above remain unresolved.
This is my basic gripe. Has nothing to do with PCs or Macs; BTW, go to the Hardware topics to see positive reports on 9 running under Rosetta, and the Graphisoft statements on universal binaries.
March, wrote:

Two profitable colleagues I know who are still using ArchiCAD are on v6.5 & v7 in Mac OS-9 and the former with numerous keys is planning to move to AutoCAD as existing stations require replacement...
I would REALLY like to hear the rationale for this decision. Either they use ArchiCAD only for drafting, or don't use it to the full. Sorry to say so, but still using 6.5 or 7 is not a basis to decide whether ArchiCAD is good enough now. AutoCAD?!?!? My goodness ...
March, wrote:

In summary I find some of the most basic construction tools & functions still have major flaws or room for improvement. Many of the above suggestions are longstanding concerns & leave me frustrated & scratching my head at many of the 'high end' archicad features (some of which I love) when I can't even easily put together a basic building model or adjust pen weights 'on the fly'...
Hmmm ... I have to disagree on both. I can put any building model I need together, and pens are a matter of pre-thought and pre-set templates, as it is now.
March, wrote:

As an early ArchiCAD user the question I keep asking is where is 'ease of use' now in Graphisoft's priority list...?
This is the ultimate question. I feel it is still very much there ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
March, wrote:
Djordje wrote:
ArchiTerra; once upon a time, ArchiSite. Inexpensive solution that works.
Mesh Tool is the one of most importants. And I'm thinking that it's must be developed by GS. We can create any mesh with ArchiTerra, but I'm not happy with it's working teqnique and interface. Would like to have easy to use compatibility with GPS.
March, wrote:
8.) Material selection:
Djordje wrote:
Agreed up to a point. Many different techniques exist ...
And how many are there in AC9?
March_ Bruce
Booster
Perhaps a class action lawsuit would get someone's attention...?
TomWaltz
Participant
March, wrote:
I don't think it's even on the list.

I've long believed that one of the biggest problems that Archicad suffers from is the lack of a usable template file. If it came with a template that someone could use (preferably along with instructions), including pen settings, Plotmaker links, View Sets, Layer Combinations, etc, and it MATCHED THE LIBRARY DEFAULTS, a lot of the complaints out there would go away.

Instead, guys like Eric, Matthew, Link, and myself (among many others) spend tons of time developing templates that can work in some way and twist Archicad's strange defaults into something usable.
Tom Waltz
March_ Bruce
Booster
If you think any of the suggestions have merit, please VOTE ESSENTIAL !

Squeaky wheels will (hopefully) get some oil...?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje

Ive searched all over for Graphisofts statement on universal binaries with no luck. Can you or someone point me in the right direction???
__archiben
Booster
Lennox wrote:
Ive searched all over for Graphisofts statement on universal binaries with no luck. Can you or someone point me in the right direction???
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/

second article down

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
March, wrote:
If you think any of the suggestions have merit, please VOTE ESSENTIAL !
bruce

your comments range from specific gripes to sweeping generalisations. if you asked ten different archiCAD users you would probably find each have their own specific gripes. same with anyCAD i'm sure. how can i vote essential when i don't believe that some of your points necessarily are?

however, your item number 9 - legacy support and continued maintenance - really sums up your entire post, and could've been condensed to that one sentence: "Constantly I find numerous flaws ... are never fixed". this is an issue that if addressed would bring many user's 'specific gripes' list down to zero.

tom's point about providing intelligent, detailed templates 'out-of-the-box' is also a good one that would diffuse many a painful archi-situation. but i fear that there may be a policy of leaving that kind of 'localisation' issue with the distributors and resellers . . . who also try to make their living out of technical support.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
March, wrote:
Perhaps a class action lawsuit would get someone's attention...?
uh. no.

• there is no 'global' building code.
• who is responsible for meeting regulations anyway? you or your software supplier?
• if your software supplier and/or reseller took responsibility for you meeting your obligations with regard to building codes they would naturally have to limit what we, the user, could produce with it just to cover their arses!
• there is nothing to stop you building your interpretation or your local building code into modified objects and or favourite settings.

bottom line: man up and take responsibility for what you're designing. the culture of litigation is already in danger of making this world a very bland place as well as providing too many opportunities for mediocrity to dodge blame. your 'deathstair' might be somebody else's client's ideal.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Learn and get certified!