BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composit wall not wrapping correctly in 3 D view

DanyThailand
Participant

In 3

COMPOSITE2.png

COMPOSITE1.png

  

D view, the composite wall is not displaying correctly, i use wrap on column option, it show properly on 2 d but not on 3 d, must be 2 layer on column but it show one thick layer instead of 2 ( render + tile.

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @DanyThailand,

Can tell us more about your case if it's solved or still?

If solved how you could?

If not, can you attach screenshot for these walls while they're selected?

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

not solved, independant wall or intersected, the profile wont continue on column ( wrap method ). Here is the screenshot

composite3.jpg

Ok, after I could reproduce that case,

I can find the problem in rectangular wrapped columns appearance in 3D View when placed inside composite walls despite 2D floorplan appearance is perfect.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 232801.pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 232902.png

• When physically based rendering is ON.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 233803.png

• When physically based rendering is OFF.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 232833.png

• Even exist in Ver. 25.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 233046.png

• I noticed the problem is in the column veneer's surface material which is applied to the top end surface despite inactive veneer as in these two case 

the 1st has Stone BM and the 2nd has Generic - external cladding.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 002305.png

Screenshot 2024-01-27 233230.png

• I can't approve it's a bug or a trick in Archicad which i should know,

but for now, as illustrated above you should use a complex profile column with the composite wall for a better 3D appearance.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

For sure, it should be considered as a bug, what else ? Since a material is classified as finishing on composite, it should wrap around the core of the column, now, it work only with one finishing material, more than one ( for exemple plaster + tile ) , it doesnt work in 3 D. Doesn't make any sense to have composite, column wrapping method but still have to make a profile for the column.

I think this is actually as intended.

It does not say explicitly in the HELP reference that the finish/other skins will wrap in 3D.

It does say the thickness of the column will be increased and that the external surface material of the wall will be carried around the column.

Which is what happens.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC27_Help%2F040_Eleme...

Generally you will not be looking at the top of the column in 3D - it would usually be covered by a slab or a roof.

Only if you select the elements in isolation or add a cutting plane, would you see them as you have shown.

A section through one of those columns will also be a problem as it will show the original composite wall in the middle of the column.

Column will have correct width but will not show the wrapped skins.

So it would be nice to have the skins wrap in 3D as well.

Maybe make a wish for this feature in the 'Wishes' forum and reference this post for explanation.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi @DanyThailand, I think all you really need to do for now, to make it look right in 3D, is to ensure that your external wall skin matches the external skin of your column. You might also need to use PBC or “Priority Based Connections” to tweak it further if it needs it ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

i dont need my wall skin to match the column skin, i need the opposite. I have already tried material priority. It's a bug.

yes, using cutting floor plan will be  a problem, anyway, wrap is wrap, anything classified as finishing in composite wall should be wrapped to column or call this method " wrap somehow, some, sometime, about, approximative " . Why it only work when there's only 1 skin, doesnt work with more than 1 skin, what is the logic, the mood of the programmer ? 

@DanyThailand wrote:

Why it only work when there's only 1 skin, doesnt work with more than 1 skin, what is the logic, the mood of the programmer ? 

It can wrap more than one skin (in plan), so long as the wall composite skins are not set as 'core'.

BarryKelly_0-1706512182517.png

In 3D only the surface material will be wrapped, but the size of the column will increase by the skins being wrapped.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!