BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cover fill

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cover fill for a ceiling grid - why can't you snap to it to locate light fittings?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
In that case it would be nice, but imagine trying to pick something out of the sea of hotspots that would be created by other fills. It would have to be something you could turn on only when desired.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
In that case it would be nice, but imagine trying to pick something out of the sea of hotspots that would be created by other fills.
This was a frustration in ACAD.

meapl: Just set the Rotated Grid to the origin of the fill (and the grid snap to the grid spacing (e.g. 2'-0" x 4'-0" for 2x4 ceiling tile).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could accomplish the desired snap by setting you user origin to the same location as the cover fill origin. Then use Archicad's snap feature with a 2'x2' grid (or whatever corresponds to your cover fill)
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Dom wrote:
You could accomplish the desired snap by setting you user origin to the same location as the cover fill origin. Then use Archicad's snap feature with a 2'x2' grid (or whatever corresponds to your cover fill)
True. I guess I'm not used to working on orthogonal buildings...
Extreme Geometry.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same concept except yours would apply to all situations - so it's the better response. The important thing to note here is that there's often a method to achieve the functionality you might be looking for (ie snap to a ceiling cover fill) but it might require some creativity and using all the of the tools available to you.
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
True. I guess I'm not used to working on orthogonal buildings...
then you are clearly your own worst enemy!

(rotate your grid . . . )

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
~/archiben wrote:
then you are clearly your own worst enemy!
I didn't say I designed the buildings...
~/archiben wrote:
(rotate your grid . . . )
Oh, I rotate my grid quite often!
Does moving the user origin move the origin of the grid snap? I thought you needed to set the [rotated] grid in order to do that?
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
I thought you needed to set the [rotated] grid in order to do that?
you do . . . and i should have read further up the thread and seen that you already recommended it. thought you were in need of an answer . . . my bad!

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!