BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curve Wall Window Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding windows in curve walls.

I magic wanded my wall from a spline. Everything worked out okay except that that the wall was generated in segments (yellow line in image).

My problem now comes however when I try to draw a window that extends the entire length of the wall. It gets cut off at each of the wall segments.

I was wandering if there was a way to actually join all the segments together. I've tried the "Clt + I" (intersect) and though they appear to be grouped, it still does not work with the window.

Cheers,

Robbo[/img]

ac_help_1.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi New_Xieland (!?),

I'm afraid you can't join the segments into an unique spline wall...
Wall tool don't have spline shape... Just arcs... (Hey perhaps its a good wish...)
If I were in your situation... I'd place empty windows in the adjacent segments to create the hole for your window...
Hope that helps...
Dwight
Newcomer
Reviewing your image shows a rather basic window element. May I suggest creating the assembly from a complex profile? [all words come from Greek]

Profiled thus: A wall segment, a frame section, glass, frame section and top of wall segment.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Paulo and i would both like to know why you chose that name for the forum. Why the X, eh?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help so far... yeah I didn't think it was possible either...

Well you see I was thinking of creating a series of long windows across the red facade of different height and length.

But yeah looking at it now it seems that either I use complex profiles like you suggested Dwight, or break that red facade into 10 height segments of walls and manually draw in or leave out the openings...

Argh... guess I was just trying to see if there was a short cut around it... come on next hotfix - bring out spline walls

Yeah about my user name it's bit of a long story... My last name is Xie but all my mates just found it easier to pronounce it as "z". I'm from Australia so yeah we're always taking the piss at out kiwi neighbours. I think some one coined the term for me back in one of high school's geography class and yeah guess it just kinda stuck with me...

It's a bit lame I know but hey it's a pretty uncommon username

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
New_Xieland wrote:
I think some one coined the term for me back in one of high school's geography class and yeah guess it just kinda stuck with me...
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could possibly use Dwight's suggestion with stretchy profiles to change the vertical position of the windows.
New_Xieland wrote:
I think some one coined the term for me back in one of high school's geography class and yeah guess it just kinda stuck with me...
Thought you might have been an ex-pat kiwi. Sydney is NZ's second largest city after all. Oh, well, never mind.
Dwight
Newcomer
s2art wrote:
You could possibly use Dwight's suggestion with stretchy profiles to change the vertical position of the windows.
:tinkywink:
The solution to that situation is to magic wand the wall to the spline with specified segment lengths and swap out differing segments.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not?...
Make the wallhole with empty windows...
And build the window (using magic wand in an offset spline with the window shape) with walls (glass), beams and columns (frame)?...
Learn and get certified!