BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

DWG/Color/Pen Set-View vs Layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.
I have brought a DWG site into archiad.
When I select the site in archicad i see that I can chenge then pen set.
So I changed it to an all black penset that I made.
But, when I am viewing this on a layout the colors are back, like it is ignorong the pen set I set to it.

Any Ideas?
Make anysense?
16 REPLIES 16
Thomas Holm
Booster
IN AC11 yo acn select the penset to use in each layout and each view. Select the view in the navigator and check it's settings, and choose penset there.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know you can set the pensets for the views in the view and the layout.
But, I set a Pen Set for the DWG.
When I am in my view all the DWG pens are black, like I told them to be through the DWG pen set. But when I go back to my layout my DWG lines are colored again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh- and- The pens sets for the view in the view settings and in the drawing settings are the same
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK What happens if you selsect the view on the layout, change it's penset so something else, OK and then open the settings again and reö-set its penset to the black one you want?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, no luck.
Thomas- do you know what I am talking about with changing the DWG's Penset?

I have this:
A- DWG pen set
B- View Pen Set
C- Drawing Pen Set

B and C are the same.
What are they giving me the option of a DWG Pen Set for? I went to the DWG options, View Drawing's Own Pen Set > Changed them all to black> saved it as a pen set and then assigned it to the DWG. . .

Is this something i am supposed to be handling with a Translator?
I am really pretty novice when it comes to the translator stuff, and I guess I thought that was just for output?
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, further more, there is "PenSets" and "Colors" I See now. So, I don't know that I am going to be able to get an answer through here, seems like too much info.
Help if you can, but, i will try to read something somewhere too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
haha.

how ever- changing the "Colors" to gray scale is getting me what I want as far as I can tell.

But I dont UNDERSTAND
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, here I am again rambling to myself.

I watch "webinars" through Archivista every week.
This week just happened to be on the drawing tool, so I got to ask this question.

What I was told was that you can only control the DWG's colors and pens through its drawing settings, the way I was trying to, for the view/project map.

The instructor suggested putting your DWG on a hidden layer so when your view is placed on a layout you dont see it.
Then- you place that DWG on the same layout through the drawing tool and then you can give it it's own certain pen set.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well, i'm not sure I understand you completely...

The Help files are really helpful!

You have a number of pre-defined Pen Sets in the program. There's a list at Options>Element Attributes > Pens & Colors.
If one of them suits you, fine, otherwise customise and save one of your own. You can use any color and pen width for any pen. I usually use an Autocad standard pen set of my own because it makes conversions easier.

Now open your layout, select the view in question and right-click. Select Drawing Selection Settings. In the dialog, open the Properties tab. There in the lower left, select the pre-defined pen set you want. Then, on the right, you can override it with greyscale or everything black if you like. Click OK.

If the DWG refuses to display the way you want it after the above excersise, you can workarund it by importing the DWG into a separate .pln document and then Hot-link that into your current project. This will give youeven more control.

If none of this works, I don't know.
Learn and get certified!