BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Does anyone at GS BETA Test New Releases

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone at Graphisoft BETA test before a new release is sent out to the unsuspecting public.

I am really ticked off with AC 10, and the lack of BETA testing on even the simplest of tasks.

This afternoon, I installed AC 10 per the instructions. After playing around with it a bit, less than an hour, I went back and started using AC 9 again. I did not open any AC 9 projects in AC 10.

I then went to use Publisher, and now there is no PDF format available for publishing. While the local support rep provided a work-around, which I cannot get to work properly, I am having to print the sheets here in my office and have them delivered to my client. Not only a waste of money, but also time.

I am not reinstalling AC 9 just to get the PDF function to work again and I am sure something else will get messed up.

GS has got to get their act together. This is not only unacceptable, it is amateurish.

Grant Noel
10 REPLIES 10
Rick Thompson
Expert

from a beta tester who loves it

It's not prefect, no software is (they evolve you know) but I have been using it exclusively for several weeks. I have converted around 25 files (projects) without issue (except one I reported on this forum and to GS (and they responded)). The advantages are great, in my humble opinion.. as "we" say. I am completely excited about using it.. really. I hope you will explore it a bit more, and describe your problems with a few details, then someone might be able to help you, should you like that.

respectfully submitted

ps.. there is a learning curve with ac10. It does quite a few things differently and requires more effort than in past to get going.. that is very true, and totally worth it to learn.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick, thanks for your reply, but perhaps you misunderstood my posting, or perhaps I did not explain it correctly.

I am not criticizing AC 10 in any way as I have not used it extensively.

My concern is that after installing AC 10, the installation messed up AC 9, and that to me is unacceptable.

Here is what happened.

I installed AC 10 per the instructions. I played around with it just to see what the new version is like. I did not open any AC 9 PLN or LBK files in AC 10 since I am not that familiar with the new version.

I closed AC 10, and opened Plotmaker to continue working using the AC 9 and Plotmaker combination.

I selected Publisher so that I could publish some work using PDF files.

Usually I have the option to choose the format, and I use PDF.

However, now PDF is not an allowable option, which it had been ever since AC 9 came out.

For some reason, once AC 10 is installed, it wipes out the PDF option under publisher in Plotmaker(the one that came with AC 9).

AC 10 and AC 9 should be totally separate applications, with one not having any affect on the other. This is not the case.

Grant
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Easy there mate - I've installed about a dozen versions of ArchiCAD 10 and not had this problem. Maybe it's an isolated case?

Besides, it's really quite easy to reinstall the PDF Converter, just go to the PDF Converter folder within your ArchiCAD 9 folder and run the installer again. Takes 30 seconds.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NOELDESIGNS wrote:
Rick, thanks for your reply, but perhaps you misunderstood my posting, or perhaps I did not explain it correctly.

I am not criticizing AC 10 in any way as I have not used it extensively.

My concern is that after installing AC 10, the installation messed up AC 9, and that to me is unacceptable.

Here is what happened.

I installed AC 10 per the instructions. I played around with it just to see what the new version is like. I did not open any AC 9 PLN or LBK files in AC 10 since I am not that familiar with the new version.

I closed AC 10, and opened Plotmaker to continue working using the AC 9 and Plotmaker combination.

I selected Publisher so that I could publish some work using PDF files.

Usually I have the option to choose the format, and I use PDF.

However, now PDF is not an allowable option, which it had been ever since AC 9 came out.

For some reason, once AC 10 is installed, it wipes out the PDF option under publisher in Plotmaker(the one that came with AC 9).

AC 10 and AC 9 should be totally separate applications, with one not having any affect on the other. This is not the case.

Grant
Grant,

I don't know what has happened in your case, but I have installed just about every beta (as well as the pre-betas) and have had no such problems. Neither have I seen nor heard of your particular problem during beta testing. I understand your frustration but suggest that you be a bit more circumspect before you insult not only Graphisoft but also many of the most advanced users in this forum.

I do hope that Link's suggestion works for you. If not I am sure that GS or others here will be happy to help you sort it out just as we always do.
stefan
Expert
You can rest assured that ANYONE who installed ArchiCAD 10 also had ArchiCAD 9 installed at the same time. I never had any conflict with the old ArchiCAD 9 (just frustrations with going back).

Try to re-install the Amyuni PDF convertor. AFAIK ArchiCAD 10 doesn't remove it. I also have PDF export options from Acrobat, Revit and ProgeCAD (which all installed additional PDF writers).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
What has happened is that the PDF Converter was not installed when you installed 10. Its quite easy to fix.

In your Program Files\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 10 folder there is a subfolder called PDF Converter (I think, I'm on my Mac at the moment). Open this folder and you will see an installer for the PDF conveter.

Make sure that there are no sessions of ArchiCAD (and PlotMaker) running and then run the PDF converter installer. There is a chance the installation will fail because sometimes the OS doesn't release the files used. If it fails just reboot and run the installer again.

After successfully installing the PDF converter it WILL appear as an option in 9 & 10 again. I've done this many times due to accidentally uninstalling it during the beta test.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link/Eric: Thank you both for your response and the easy fix for the PDF converter. Yes it took about 30 seconds to install and the problem is fixed.

Part of my frustration is that recently I lost 3 complete working days because AC 9 was not working properly. An identifiable and repeatable problem that GS has as a bug.

But, what is more frustrating with this issue is that the local tech support person nor the distributor came up with a solution to this problem, which is bothersome particularly when the solution is so simple as Link and Eric have stated.

The distributor in an email to me, to paraphrase, basically said to send the software back. Great solution.

Link and Eric, thanks again for the easy fix.

Grant
Djordje
Ace
NOELDESIGNS wrote:
But, what is more frustrating with this issue is that the local tech support person nor the distributor came up with a solution to this problem, which is bothersome particularly when the solution is so simple as Link and Eric have stated.
It is that simple. If you don't see the PDF in the printing or publishing options, that means that there is no PDF printer installed. Close Archicad, reinstall. Done. Remember this as a general rule.

Whether your reseller knows this is not a Graphisoft or beta testing procedure responsibility ... they should know.

BTW - this is a recognized problem that will be/is hotfixed. Happened to me, so I know.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
At the very least your reseller should have referred you to tech support. Telling you to send it back is B.S.! It is not really their job to do tech support, but it is their job to put you in contact with the people that can help.

That just blows my mind.
Learn and get certified!