Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Editing (re-modeling) custom made objects

Andrei Nemes
Contributor

Hello,

I've been keen on learning ArchiCad, but I got to a frustrating moment. Compared to other programs, like Revit, AutoCAD, and Sketchup (basically most programs), there are options to edit custom-made objects that are often replicated across the project. That usually is quite simple with modelling changes (not parameters) in a file. And struggling to find any tutorial that somehow gives help with this. Specifically editing something after an object has been created. Or is there no such feature in ArchiCad?

I tried module and object creator already, but it is not what I want an object to do.

Looking for areas such as a custom-made object in a file and then editing it again. Or, for example, editing custom trusses made. Just wanted to know if there is any such thing in this program so that I can stop searching for it.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Andrei

8 REPLIES 8
Amauri-Santos
Participant

Trusses - Modeling Menu - Extra - TrussMaker - and you make any kind of truss you need.

Lingwisyer
Guru

If using Objects to create bespoke items that may change, I find it is a good idea to model them on a negative story below your actual model. This storey can then be excluded from drawings using the Stories to Show in 3D option and Vertical Range settings in elevations and sections. In this way, when need be, you can go back to them, make edits then save and override the previous version.

View => Elements in 3D => Filter & Cut Elements in 3D => Stories to Show in 3D

Elevation / Section Settings => Vertical Range => Limited

Outside of this, the block fuctionality from A, components from S and families from R, does not exist in AC. The closest thing we have are Modules, which are more suited to isolating and seperating buidlings. There are many wishes around for this functionality, or at least in-place editting of modules.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Hi Amauri,

Thank you for your reply. One follow up question I have is: once the truss is made, can you in-model edit the truss?

Best,

Andrei

Hi Ling,

Thank you very much for your insightful reply. I guess will need to get used to a different system of operation.

My best wishes,

Andrei

Yes. You have the option to edit the truss in the same tool.

jl_lt
Ace

As per the procedure described by Jared Banks in his blog,   If you are making custom made objects out of standard parts, like walls or even panels, and you want to retain some form of editability, the solution is to make an ungrouped copy of the objects you just made and leave it either somewhere in the project or in a hidden layer.

IF you then need to modify your object, what you need to do is to modify these elements and save them as an object with the same name.  It will override all existing objects that have the same name, effectively but clumsily working as a normal block.  In order to keep editability you need to keep making copies either of the original objects or the previous state.

Hope it helps!

Thank you!! 🙂

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Trusses can also be created and edited using the Curtain Wall tool.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27