BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Good Golly Miss Molly you surelike to Error Message me

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a building which I started not long after getting ArchiCad, and I drew it before I learned some of the lessons a year of constant use will teach you. Now I have returned to this project and need to get it all together. No problem, really. But I somehow managed to do something to my windows which gives me the following error message every time I render it or open a section/elevation:

Ploygon is degenerated.
at line 577 of file wa_trim_us 81.gsm

It seems to be giving me this message for each seperate window in the view I am looking at. What I want to know is whether there is a way for a moron like myself to track down the specific problem causing this error message without hours of trial and error. The windows were created seperately, but I used the Tool Setting Dialog "globally" to change their appearance, and that is when the trouble seems to have started. I was under a deadline at the time, of course, so couldn't stop the process long enough to figure it out when it was a fresh problem, then had to set the project aside for nine months. In the end the building looks fine, acts fine and I can use it as is, but these error dialogues slow everything down needlessly.

So, you know, as John Lennon once stated so eloquently: Help.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Something else. I just started placing area markers for my room by room square footage and useage, and I get the errors there too. This is going to make me scream.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris,
The degenerated polygon error is probably because you
have set a dimension to zero in the trim settings in the
window settings dialogue.
Peter Devlin
Seiss Wagner
Participant
PETER -

I would second that, it has been my experance that setting dialogs in objects to zero is a no no and almost always creates the degenerated ploygon error. I have learned to use .001 as the setting for zero.
ArchiCad 21 / OS X 10.13.5 /
iMac 3.2GHz i5 - 32GB /AMD Radeon R9 M390 - 2048 MB/
Dual 5K - 27" Displays
One quick workaround that usually does it (don't remember about 8.1 files) is Find-and-Selecting all the doors/windows with suspect name/s and going to the Options and/or similar bunch of parameters and setting Parametric Level or something like that to 'simple', and the same with '3D representation'.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have traced this problem to the AC9 Library SE windows and the rough opening settings on the window settings dialog.

Under the 'General' tab there are two parameter boxes marked "rough opening extra hor.' and 'rough opening extra ver.". If either or both of these are set to "0", you will get the degenerated polygon error message when doing elevations.

I have started using "0.01" and this works well.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Audie wrote:
I have traced this problem to the AC9 Library SE windows and the rough opening settings on the window settings dialog.

Under the 'General' tab there are two parameter boxes marked "rough opening extra hor.' and 'rough opening extra ver.". If either or both of these are set to "0", you will get the degenerated polygon error message when doing elevations.

I have started using "0.01" and this works well.

Hope this helps.
This also depends on the wall type setting in the window. The default is to "solid" (ie. concrete or masonry); this assumes blocking in a 1 3/4" space. This could be the source of the problem. Switching the wall type to "stud" fixes thins as I recall.
Learn and get certified!