BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Imposible wall.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to everyone!

I have a problem trying to generate a special wall. I'm surprised with the new stretch and angle modification of walls in archicad 10, but I need to create a wall with some special shape and with some empty opening shapes. I try to make the wall in sketchup or autocad, like a 3d object, but is very frustrating comparing to archicad walls.

So, the question is: Why is possible to make those interesting shapes and empty openings in a slab but is so difficult to make the same shape in elevation on a wall??? (Considering the stretch and angle modifications)

And the final question: Is there a way of making the wall i'm trying to make without using roof trims, external objects, maxon form?

And the final final question: using any tool, internal or external; which is the easiest way of modeling this wall?

Two images posted of the autocad section and my experiments with walls and slabs in archicad.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use complex profile and you could do that wall in ArchiCad, sidewall would be harder, but it work making help roofs and use trim to roof command.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All the walls I see in your section drawing are fairly easy to do in ArchiCAD. You have already figured out the sloping one it seems. You can put openings in it like any other wall and there is a setting to make the windows vertical or perpendicular to the wall. The end wall is probably best accomplished with SEOs (I generally prefer this to the trim to roof command now). As Tobias suggests the complex profile wall (or beam) tool can be used to make a more detailed model of the sloping wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
All the walls I see in your section drawing are fairly easy to do in ArchiCAD. You have already figured out the sloping one it seems. You can put openings in it like any other wall and there is a setting to make the windows vertical or perpendicular to the wall. The end wall is probably best accomplished with SEOs (I generally prefer this to the trim to roof command now). As Tobias suggests the complex profile wall (or beam) tool can be used to make a more detailed model of the sloping wall.
Matthew, I'm interested in SEOs, but i can't realize were the operators come from... or how to make and easy change them... I try to make a polyline and then extrude it, so i can have my new and polished operator, but, OPPS, there is no extrusion command in ArchiCAD... any orientation will be very helpfull!!!

The picture below explains the wall I am tring to make. The gray area is the resultant and desired wall.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The only SEO you should require is for the top left X, using a (hidden) roof for the operator. The others should be removed by wall healing and with a custom window.

This should be relatively easy to model - you shouldn't even need to create a complex profile. Just slope the walls, using the pet palette in the 3D window.

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
Einstein wrote:
there is no extrusion command in ArchiCAD
Right. But any shape that you make with a polyline (even unclosed) can be "magic wanded" into a 3D slab or a roof plane. There's your extrusion.

I admire you taking on this intermediate skill challenge, but combining the tilted wall, the SEO and creating forms is quite a plate full all at once....
Dwight Atkinson
Einstein,

How to model something depends on what you intend to do with the model.

Does it need to be anatomically correct or is it just for use in planning or rendering?

You may want to model the steel first, then add the other materials one at a time.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I'm very happy with the resulting wall, i used the Link's method combining slope wall and roof cutting.

The material of the wall is reinforced concrete, nothing more sophisticated, with slabs, walls and beams to "close" the structure.

I have some problems making the interior "empty windows" or perforations in my superwall. It is possible to rotate a window or a empty window in this case? This is important because I want to align the windows to the external shell.

I try to work with the magic wand, but the roofs do not operate and cannot be created with one of the faces in vertical or inverted...

I think that my last chance is to investigate in 3d slabs... A slab can operate vertically, angled, forming a closed shape to use like an substraction operator?

Any proposition will be received!!!!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You should take the construction lines of your window from the elevation and copy them to the floor plan. Then magic wand a slab with an ID of 'wallhole' onto those lines. Then save that slab as a window library part and insert it back into your wall. Repeat for each unique window.

Cheers,
Link.
genarch
Enthusiast
Link wrote:
The only SEO you should require is for the top left X, using a (hidden) roof for the operator. The others should be removed by wall healing and with a custom window.

This should be relatively easy to model - you shouldn't even need to create a complex profile. Just slope the walls, using the pet palette in the 3D window.

Cheers,
Link.

WHY can't ArchiCAD allow for sloping wall tops?! It'd be so great it you could say one end of the wall is 2' high and the other end is 8' high. Or, define the height of one end of the wall, and then the slope of the top of the wall. This would make creating a wall next to a stair MUCH easier than using roofs and SEO!!!
Mac OSX 13.6.5

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
Learn and get certified!