BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Materials & hatching

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want the wall and the door to have/appear in the same material (vectorial hatching), in 2d elevation (it´s right in 3D).

What happen is: I choose a material that has a vectorial hatching vertical. When I choose the same material on the door, the hatching show horizontal (on the door)??

How to I get a material to show the same direction on both walls and doors(windows)?? without having to make a copy and turn it 90 degree)
10 REPLIES 10
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Fiuni:

You may need to use the Align 3D Texture command to change the direction of the texture [fill (hatch)] on the door.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Fiuni:

You may need to use the Align 3D Texture command to change the direction of the texture [fill (hatch)] on the door.

David
Ok, but I do not understand why a specific material appears different on a wall then a door? Vertical is vertical, and horizontal is horizontal..
Dwight
Newcomer
But origins and orientations vary.

So, in this case, "up" is where the code says it is.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
But origins and orientations vary.

So, in this case, "up" is where the code says it is.
Well, i can not understand that one material is appearing on two different ways, depending if you use it on a wall, or a door? If I choose a woodsiding that has a hatching (horizontal), why does it become vertical on the door.

Can a door take control over the material you choose?

In some cases I had to make a copy of the original material, only to make it the opposite hatching of what I really wanted, then it shows as I want. But that is not that way to create a BIM..

Look at the attached image - the doors should have a vertical sidings as on the wall..

So, who decide the hatching of a material, the door (the object) or the material??
Bilde 16.png
Dwight
Newcomer
Orientation is set with the object. My advice is to make materials with separate orientations to cope.

"Up" is where the code says it is.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Orientation is set with the object. My advice is to make materials with separate orientations to cope.

Ok, but I really can not understand that the wall and the door are coded different.. up is up..

Well.. anyway..thanks..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I did it the "old way" double up work..

And then it is ok.. but what a way to go..
Bilde 17.png
Dwight
Newcomer
You have my sympathy.

To explain this more clearly is an entire essay.

Study the GDL manual for how origins are mapped.

As a relatively new user, let me warn you that there will be many areas of Archicad that do not seem logical until you delve into the depths.

One learns to cope.
Dwight Atkinson
Barry Kelly
Fiuni wrote:
Dwight wrote:

Ok, but I really can not understand that the wall and the door are coded different.. up is up..

Well.. anyway..thanks..
The wall is an element of Archicad and the hatching will behave as you expect it to (can be manually moved and rotated in 3D - "align textures").
There is no script as such for a wall - it is controlled directly by Archicad.

The door is an object scripted by someone who may have altered the orientation of the textures in the door script - either intentionally or unknowingly.

So they can be completely different as you have experienced.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!