BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Modeling curbs and similar elements - How?

Karol Lozinski
Participant

What is the best way to model curbs and similar objects currently? And I mean curbs like they really are, so no continous, smooth curb (american style), but made of prefabricated blocks/ elements. I want to be able to set a small but visible division betweens elements with set lenght. Being able to then see those singular elements in a schedule, to count them or whatever would be great. Similar things with road gutters, and many, many other things, that are set along the line and are made of similar, prefabricated elements.

curbs-manufacturers-hyderabad.jpg

parking-curbs-300x168.jpg

I've come close to achive something similar as shown below

01.png

Thats using railing and panel. Problem is that the elements don't look exacly like I want them to. They have to be very simple, because I can't seem to find a way of creating curb-like-panel.

And now I have a gutter like this one

KarolLozinski_0-1690819724516.png

And I want to see the divisions. It both helps to make it look more realistic for a client but also helps with listing elements and with quick cost calculations. 

So... what is the best way?

Thanks!

AC 27 Win 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
cuba
Advocate

Hello Karol,

I created two param-o objects for this purpose: a linear element and a segmented arc. This works with any complex profile. These objects are graphically adaptable (as long as you don't put them in a slope etc...).

With the linear element, it is possible to extract the length and thus determine the number of elements. With the segmented element, as far as I know, it is unfortunately not possible to extract all the parameters (maybe in the future). You can create an additional parameter for this and set it per object to be listed.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-20 om 11.23.43.png

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i was going to suggest the railing tool with manually added segments/nodes. i'd still retain this to be associated to the landscaping behind it -- meaning the nodes would first be modelled into the landscaping slab, then have the Railing kerb associate to these nodes.

the issue with using the railing tool is that you can't properly schedule them based on the number of straight segments used. you can only schedule the entire length (3D Length is the property name). although, you can probably try to create some formula properties that grab the 3D Length property, & calculate it against your manufactured kerb dimensions.

otherwise maybe try a curtain wall? others here would have more knowledge with the CW than i do.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Karol Lozinski
Participant

Well, I won't insist on scheduling. It would be a nice thing but it's not necesarry for me. Still, the solution you gave seems a bit... too manual. I mean, I knew about this method, but as soon as there is a change in the path of, say, road gutter, you'll have to place nodes again manually. Or move existing nodes. Probably, the fastest way would be to delete it and make a new one from scratch. And it doesn't seem that it should be that way. It should be just a bit more parametric, and at first glace I tought it's obvious and there has to be a better way. It's just that I don't know how 😕 

AC 27 Win 11

If you have acces to Rhino+Grasshopper, that would be possible by moving a certain library object along a path. 

arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
defariaferreira
Booster

Try this ancient object "ArchiCURB"

Do you have a link? thank you

arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11

@Karol Lozinski wrote:

It should be just a bit more parametric, and at first glace I tought it's obvious and there has to be a better way. It's just that I don't know how 😕 

Because you want individual objects (or elements), unfortunately you will have to place each one individually.

Or learn how to develop an add-on or script an object that can do the manual placement for you.

The railing tool is basically an add-on that manipulates objects and controls how they join together.

Almost what you want but the rail has to be broken by nodes to get the connection and/or changes in direction.

The panels are exactly what you want, as they can be multiplied within a segment length (between nodes), but you would need to scrip a panel to be the profile that you want for the curbing or gutter (if that is even possible - I am not sure if it has to be just a flat panel).

Still changes in direction have to be controlled by nodes.

It would all get much too complicated.

A polygon object could place your curb/gutter modules along its length, but it may be tricky to get the polygon nodes to snap to your module lengths.

An then of course there will be some times when you need a custom length.

So you think it is hard to place each module individually?

Just imagine trying to automate that for all situations you may come across.

Not impossible, but very hard, which is why you can't find an easy way of doing it.

I just had a thought.

Maybe the railing will work if you use a custom post for the curb/gutter module, basically a long short (height) post.

You can set the panel length to the module length.

Almost works ...

BarryKelly_0-1690880948102.png

Now the question is can you save a post with the origin not in the center?

Or can you offset them in the railing?

I'll let you play around with that.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

No doesn't really work.

I edited the GDL to move the curb of centre, but there will always be a post at the change of direction.

You can turn it off, but then there will be a gap, so you need a railing for each straight length.

BarryKelly_0-1690881999783.png

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

It seems there may be an Archicurb object after all if you get a link.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Param-o might also be a 'non-scripting' way to create an object - especially for straight lines.

Still you have to understand how to create a repeating Param-o object.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Solution
cuba
Advocate

Hello Karol,

I created two param-o objects for this purpose: a linear element and a segmented arc. This works with any complex profile. These objects are graphically adaptable (as long as you don't put them in a slope etc...).

With the linear element, it is possible to extract the length and thus determine the number of elements. With the segmented element, as far as I know, it is unfortunately not possible to extract all the parameters (maybe in the future). You can create an additional parameter for this and set it per object to be listed.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-20 om 11.23.43.png

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27
Learn and get certified!