BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Real dimensions or scale dimensions

alex732
Participant

Hello!

I've been strugling with the drawing dimensions. Supposing I have to draw some plans andd the required scale is 1:200, i have to draw the walls at the real lenght or to draw them with the 1:200 scale dimensions.

I mean if my wall is in reality 6m long, I have to make it 6m long or 3m long, as I am drawing at 1:200 scale?

I also do not quite understand this option( see picture below) and also if I draw everything at real lenght, how do I plot them to be at my desired scale?

alex732_0-1700502209033.png

Archicad26 Educational | Windows 11 AMD RYZEN 6000 9, GEFORCE RTX
4 REPLIES 4
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

3D elements are modelled at scale 1:1

the drawing scales you mentioned are mostly for the 2D documentation (labels, dimensions, text etc).

a text box at scale 1:5 will look tiny compared to the same text box at scale 1:200.

you model your walls, slabs, windows, doors, objects etc at 1:1 scale. then, to try & balance the size of the drawing VS the amount of space to leave for 2D documentation in your layouts, i place them in a Drawing to see what scale fits best. if a drawing at 1:200 will leave too much white paper space, i'll scale it down to 1:100 & estimate how much 2D documentation can fit around.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Also, the Scale is important because some element types are scale-sensitive. For example, Doors/Windows can react to the scale set in the field you showed on the screenshot and on the Floor Plan, they can be more detailed at higher scales. But as Gerry detailed, you always need to model at 1:1 so you would make a 6 meter long wall 6 meter long in Archicad. This is kind of like Model Space in AutoCAD.

To elaborate a bit more: you will need to define Views, which represent a captured state of a ViewPoint. That state includes the Scale setting. Then you will use the Drawing tool to place these Views on Layouts. The scale will determine how large the Drawing will be on the Layout. Layouts are like Paper Space in AutoCAD.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi!

Thank you for the response. Could you, please, tell memore about the ViewPoint, Scale setting and Layouts? I kind of got lost there.

Archicad26 Educational | Windows 11 AMD RYZEN 6000 9, GEFORCE RTX

with questions like these, it sounds like you'll need to learn the basics of ArchiCAD.

there are numerous tutorials in YouTube -- a lot, from the Graphisoft ArchiCAD channel, some from independent channels such as Shoegnome.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Learn and get certified!