BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Round edges on furniture etc

hajnyma
Contributor

Hi, I've got a kind of suggestion or question. It would be really great if Archicad had a better round edge feature. I know that you can fillet / chamfer morph edges and that's ok, but you can only do it for one morph at a time (even when they're grouped). Round edges are really important in renderings (I'm using D5 render directly with Archicad) when it comes to furniture or other interior detailed geometry. For example - now if I want to fillet edges of all my kitchen cabinet doors, I have to go one by one and perform this action for each separate cabinet door. Also, this can mess up my existing dimensions. Adding new ones is also challenging when you have to click percisely on the morph's edge, not the neighboring round edge, which is usually about 3mm away.
I've got one solution in mind, but I don't know how to make it myself. I'm imagining an object, which is a plain cube with round edges. You can define the cubes X Y Z size and edge fillet radius. But the object only has hotspots where you need them, which helps with placing dimensions and keeping them in place.
Does anybody know if such an object already exists or be so kind to create it? For future versions of Archicad it would be great to implement this. Especially when you don't really have to use any other software than Archicad and your rendering program these days. 
Adding an image to describe the problem a bit better.
Thanks!

archicad_fillet_edge.jpg

Win, AC27
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru

You should include your AC version and some system details in your signature. See links in mine.

I have not used it, but I would have assumed that there was a Custom Door option for cabinets since there was before they revamped them, in which case you can model the it yourself. This also means your cabinets remain as cabinet objects.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Well yes, I guess I can use the cabinet object. The default door does have a round edge feature. I prefer working with morphs, since they can have a custom texture placement and rotation (as opposed to the cabinet object).
Not sure how my imagined cube object would help with the texture problem anyway...
But if noone has a better solution, I guess I'll have to settle with the cabinet object and do a custom texture in D5 render, which is not ideal.

Win, AC27

Round edges in archicad makes to much geometry. 

It is enough to have a small space between the cabinet doors to take advantage of the rounded corners feature of the rendering engine:

https://www.d5render.com/post/create-exquisite-materials-with-round-corner-in-d5-render

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27

Thanks, I know this feature in D5. I consider it really "messy" to make small gaps between geometry. Also, round corners in D5 are "fake" and sometimes you can spot it.

Win, AC27

Something like this?  Better build a cabinet around it with a gap between two fronts for more realism....

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-12-20 om 21.33.34.png

AC27

That would be much easier as an HPRISM command in GDL.

Then just ROT it to stand it up.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
cuba
Advocate

That's true but if you want to render this, you may want to give each plane a different material and that doesn't work as well the hprism.

This is of no use to you when you are creating 2drawings but can be useful when rendering.

AC27

Thanks cuba, that's exactly what I had in mind! Is there any way to set a custom texture origin as if it was a morph? If I had that, all my problems would be solved 🙂

Win, AC27
hajnyma
Contributor

I think this is really helpful for custom furniture. I guess for many people it's much easier to create furniture out of separate panels, not the predefined cabinet objects. Especially architects like me who don't really need the inside of the cabinet, just the outer shell.
To make it perfect, it would be great to add:

- Custom texture origin.
- Fillet / chamfer switch.
- Outlines on the box edges only (there would still be the geometry, but you wouldn't be able to see the round edge outline, just the main box edges.

Thanks so much

Win, AC27
Learn and get certified!