BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Section tool marker scale

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I am missing something.

When I have a section marker on the site plan is is the right size at 70 pt as printed at 1/8" scale.

But when I print the floor plans at 1/4" scale the section marker is obviously twice as big.

I need them to be the same size regardless of the scale of the plan on the published sheet.
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
What's the name of the marker you're using? One of the standard section marker objects?

The standard markers are scale independent, like text, and will be the same size on output regardless of the drawing scale. Is it possible that you have used drawing settings or dragging to 'magnify' the placed drawing? (Check settings for each to see if Magnification is 100% as it should be, and the scales read out correctly.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using the "Built-In Section Marker".

And, yes, the site plan is published at 50% or 1/8" scale. The View is 1/4" scale.

But, I can't change the site plan to a 1/8" view because all the topo info is at 1/4" and anything I want to appear on both plans get messed up when I switch between views.

Maybe I have been working the wrong way on this project? What do you do?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Usually I do not show site sections on the floor plan, but my client wants them to show throughout the set. I would normally have site sections markers that print at 1/8" scale match the size of the building section markers that print on the 1/4" scale plans.

How do you create your drawings?
Karl Ottenstein
Jeff wrote:
I'm using the "Built-In Section Marker".

And, yes, the site plan is published at 50% or 1/8" scale. The View is 1/4" scale.

But, I can't change the site plan to a 1/8" view because all the topo info is at 1/4" and anything I want to appear on both plans get messed up when I switch between views.

Maybe I have been working the wrong way on this project? What do you do?
IMHO, one should "never" (never say never, so 99.9%) change the value of Magnify from 100%. What you've experienced is what is supposed to happen. Magnify magnifies or shrinks, ignoring any other scale. The only time to use it in my opinion is when placing 3D drawings or images or perhaps text PDFs that are not to scale and you want to adjust them visually to fit the paper.

My topos are usually 1"=20' or 1"=30', so I've not been tempted to use magnify as you have.

Could you explain what you mean by 'all of the topo info is a 1/4" scale" - do you mean the text (only thing for which scale matters I think?) for an imported dwg?

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the topo text size and alignment gets all messed up when I change scale. It was imported as a DWG.
Karl Ottenstein
The key to getting imported dwg text at the correct size is to set the scale of the workspace to match that of the (surveyor) dwg before merging / opening. Great tip from Djordje years ago.

If it is too much work to re-merge, then use find-and-select to change the size of all similar text items to a size that will work.

Karl
Chazz
Enthusiast
Jeff wrote:
Yes, the topo text size and alignment gets all messed up when I change scale. It was imported as a DWG.
This used to be an issue in the days before you could "place" a drawing. If you are opening a DWG or importing it you need to set the scale to the correct final ratio BEFORE you open or import.

If you have already invested a bunch of time in tweaking the survey data consider this: open the DWG survey file again at the desired scale and delete all the scale sensitive stuff (lines, arcs etc) and just leave the text. Then go to your plan and delete all the survey text and set the view to the desired scale and copy/paste in the text from the new DWG. I've done this and it works like a charm.

(after reading Karl's post....) The problem with the find-and-select method is that it can shift the position of the text. Reimporting will get it spot on.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
Chazz wrote:
(after reading Karl's post....) The problem with the find-and-select method is that it can shift the position of the text. Reimporting will get it spot on.
True. Last dwg I did this too worked, because the text anchors happened to be in the right spot. Not to be expected though.

Great tip for correcting the text if other elements have been altered, Chazz!

Thanks,
Karl
Chazz
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:
Great tip....Chazz!
I find that ever since my 500th post and the conferring upon me the new title of Veteran Member, these things just come to me.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Learn and get certified!