BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Select & Activate tool shortcut..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone

I use Archicad 11 for all my projects. I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for the "Select & Activate Tool" instead of right click and selecting it.

I know that for instance, if I select a slab, than I can click on the edge of the slab to activate the toll, but life would be easier with a keyboard shortcut because it is not always easy to select that point in the slab/wall/whatever..

I'm sure others are interested in this too!
Thanx a lot.
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
You can type the shortcut for that tool and AFAIK is does the same thing.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you explain please??
thnx for the reply..
Eduardo Rolon
Once you have selected an item, clicking on its "type" icon or using its shortcut accomplishes the same as right clicking and choosing the "select and activate" option.

For example selecting a slab and then clicking on the slab icon to edit a border will tell AC to "ignore" the wall that overlaps the same border of the slab that you want to edit.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply...really quick

I see what you mean now, I just select the slab, select the slab tool on the left, and click on the slab once more. Thats much better than before, thank you for your help
Brad Elliott
Booster
As far as I know you can not create a keyboard shortcut for the Select & Activate contextual item. I could be missing something though.

I think that a single click and quarter inch drag is faster than click and keyboard but I suppose it would be nice to have the option. It seems like they have made every other command keyboardable.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Rick Thompson
Expert
What works best for me is to option click (mac) the slab (or whatever).. that picks up the parameters, and activated the tool. Very quick. That does not work well for the label tool since it picks up the text as "default", then you have to delete that text. I find the quicker than using the contextual menu.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
i use the 'toggle active tool with arrow' keyboard shortcut religiously. It'll take you to the last active tool - which will allow you to edit any model element but it won't help you discriminate overlapping elements of diferent types. The biggest advantage in my mind is that you can leave your cursor over the drawing area that you are editing instead of putting all that mileage back and forth to the docked palette- a big time saver!

This was a standard keyboard shortcut when i fist started back on AC7. At some point I had to start adjusting my work environment to include it.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you have 'Quick Selection' (the magnet icon) turned on, then once it is selected, Alt clicking anyway inside the elements contours will automatically activate the tool, no?

So if you have 'Highlight element contours before selection' checked in the 'Selection and Element Information' panel of your Work Environment, then you can use tab to toggle between preselected items, then alt click to activate it.

So in essence, Alt (click) is the keyboard shortcut.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all very much guys.. it all makes sence now
Learn and get certified!