BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Split levels

KeesW
Advocate
I am designing a house with split levels. Ground level RL 0.9m, middle level RL 2.2m, top level (over bottom storey) RL 3.6m. I've set up storeys for bottom and top, and want to show middle level on each plan. We can show it live on one of the storeys (we've drawn it on the ground storey) but also want to show it live when we switch to the top storey. We can copy it from ground to top storey as 2D object but want it live on each storey.

We've played with floor cut planes but can't get the right combinations. Maybe it won't work anyway. Any ideas out there?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
5 REPLIES 5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Personally, I would create 3 separate stories, use Virtual Trace in the Views/Viewpoints when working in the model and combine drawings on the layouts to create composite plans -- this is the easiest way to control element display.

I've done it where 'level 1' and 'level 1.5' are modeled on a single story, the elements on 'level 1.5' set to show one story above, and then model 'level 2' on a second story; however element display (and the Floor Plan Cut Plane) can be a challenge.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Laura

I know how to present the drawings with the middle storey shown with each of the other levels. I wanted to know if it was possible to show it live with each level. I guess the only way is to have just one storey, and use layers to control what one sees on the other. But, oh no.....that's how Autocad would do it!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Thomas Holm
Booster
KeesW wrote:
I guess the only way is to have just one storey, and use layers to control what one sees on the other.
Hardly. If you model all elements with real dimensions and positions, and use the Projected, Projected with overhead, or Cut only element settings, you will get all stories live. Laura's method is much easier than your 'Autocadish'.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
KeesW wrote:
I wanted to know if it was possible to show it live with each level.
It is "live", and the relationship between levels is "real" -- the elements are just assigned to 3 separate Stories.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, i am having a similar problem but on a different scale. i have 13 industrial units the FFL increase 800mm every 2 units. The mezzanine levels of each units are 3000mm about the ground floor. The problem is by the time i get to the 4th set of units the ground floor is now above the mezzanine of the lower units. I have changed the cutting planes to get the layout of walls etc the way i need it but my problem is with the doors and windows. I have ground floor doors showing up on the mezzanine levels and vice versa. How can i fix this?
Cheers
Aaron
Learn and get certified!