BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stretching using rubber band method

Anonymous
Not applicable
Something that has been frustrating me for a while in AC10 is to know what your gonna end up with when stretching walls, lines etc using the rubber band method.
When using the rubber band method and heading it off in the direction you wish to stretch, typing in a relative distance and then hitting enter AC will either stretch the wall the desired distance or snap the wall to the amount specified.
The problem is I never know which way it will go.
I like to stretch walls etc this way but am getting very frustrated with the unpredictability.
Is there a sure fire way of getting this method to work exactly the way I want it to every time.

Regards,
Dean.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dean

This has been discussed before, try a search (button above).

In one discussion I remember suggesting that hitting the SHIFT key toggles between absolute and relative distance, but have since found this somewhat unpredictable too. Just keep an eye on your coordinates in the tracker.

Here is one such discussion...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dean,

Try selecting the item you want to stretch. Start the stretch command in the pet pallette or however you like. Click on the handle where you intend to start the stretch. Hit Alt +Shift which will change the origin to 0,0 at that handle. Then hit "D" on the keyboard and type in the relative distance. The item will stretch the distance you type.

Mark Hendricks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments.

Having to press alt shift + and then ctrl D..... is a bit of a time waster considering in earlier versions this was never an issue.

Grabbing the end of a wall, holding down shift to snap it to the direction you want to go and the typing in a value for R and hitting enter is as much as we've ever had to do before.

Should be simple it either adds the inputted R value to the length of the wall or reduces the length depending on direction you stretch the rubber band.

This is the way I've always stretched things before version 10.
Maybe in version 11 it will be straightened out.

Dean.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just for interests sake i have worked it out, sort of.

After playing around with holding down shift while stretching to snap to a desired direction, I noticed that when releasing shift and then holding shift down again the user origin was moving back and fourth from the beginning or the end of the wall. Or visa versa.

So it all depends on where the origin is before you hit R and input a value. You do seem to have some control over it by pressing shift a few times to get the origin where you want it.

Still not 100% sure on how it works but at least I now know what to look for.

Cheers.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Dean wrote:
Still not 100% sure on how it works but at least I now know what to look for.
Does this help?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, confirms what I thinking.

Thanks.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions