Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window in split wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to make a wall 2400 high that is composed of two walls 1200 high, one sitting on top of the other. The point is that I can make the bottom half bricks and the top half render.
Problem I have is when I try to insert a window, it will only show on the bottom wall and therefore is cut off 1200 high by the wall on top.
Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
In this case you'll want the COMPLEX PROFILE wall feature that will let you make a single wall element with more than one material.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have done this before with a full size window in the lower wall, (projecting above the top of the lower wall) and an empty opening in the upper wall to form the hole to make the top half of the window visible. You have to keep track of your empty openings if the window moves, but otherwise it should work fine.

An alternative, if you have Door and Window Builder is to make 2 separate windows, the bottom one with no head frame, the top one with no sill (under Setout - Join Adjacent tab (glass joint option as required) )

HTH

Edit: or if you want to use the new-fangled gadgets, do as Dwight suggests.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created a COMPLEX PROFILE for the first time and found it quite easy to use. I have managed to change a wall to a prifile of my own making.
e question which I couldn't find in 'F1" is, I need to have half the wall one colour and the other half brick, when a complex profile is created can it then be manipulated as separate elements??
Dwight
Newcomer
Using different fills allows assignment of different materials - read the reference manual - USA manual starts page 197
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Before Complexed profile days I did it as s2art's method. Nowaday I use complexed profiles, if I don't need to use teamwork. Complex profiles and teamwork isn't a good combination because you need to have exclusive rights to the file when change a complex profile.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The complex profile worked really well. First time I have used it and I found it very logical and easy to use.
Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't like to have things spelt out for me but I don't have my manual. When I insert a window the wall end is a completely different colour. I have assigned fill to both the complex profile and the material I wish to show.
Help will be appreciated
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you know of the specific parameters within the window object ?
Just a guess
Dwight
Newcomer
This can be buggy. I have just verified that the radio button "Wall Side" solves the mapping problem.
windofin.jpg
Dwight Atkinson