Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows on mulitple layers?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on an existing building that we are doing pretty extensive renovations to. I can not figure out how to have windows on separate layers. I need one set for the existing shell structure, and then an entirely new layer set for the new construction. How can I do this with the least amount of layer clutter?
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
Windows are linked to the walls they dwell in and therefore, exist in that wall's layer.

Is there a problem using two layers as you say? Tat approach seems good.

Is it that you are replacing windows in existing walls and need a way to distinguish them?
Dwight Atkinson
Openings do not have layers, but respond to the layer settings of the wall with which they are associated. When working with existing construction, you typically need at least 3 wall layers: A-Wall (for new construction), A-Wall.DEMO (for existing to be removed) and A-Wall.EXST (for existing to remain), and 2 layer combinations: Demolition Plan = A-Wall.EXST + A-Wall.DEMO, and Construction Plan = A-Wall.EXST + A-Wall

If you are replacing windows within existing openings, or inserting windows in an existing wall, it's a little tricky, but can be done: 1) Insert empty openings in a wall (on A-Wall.EXST) to create the [existing] openings. 2) Fill these openings with walls (A-Wall.DEMO) the same size as the openings. 3) Copy these walls onto the A-Wall layer, and insert the new windows in these walls. 4) Insert any existing-to-be-removed windows in the A-Wall.DEMO walls of step 2.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
In addition to previous tips, an issue you may or may not encounter is Archicad attempting to automatically trim "seen and unseen" walls (ie. trim walls in layers turned on, with walls in layers turned off). This can result in some real strange effects, and is avoided by giving the walls layers different "intersection priority numbers" in each layer combination so that they don't interfere with eachother!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help. The multiple layers for walls did the trick. I'm sure I'll be back here soon enough with more questions.