Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating curved walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
i want to create one wall like one conoid with different height that archicad leaves me to make. does anyone know how can i fix it? to understand better what i have to make look calatrava's auditorium di tenerife. i tried to fix it with objects from archicad (conoid) but doesn't leave me to get the height i want. can anybody help me?

auditoriodetenerife03.jpg
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
1. Model half of the shape using one mass mesh with the main curved shape;
2. Elevate one vertice;
3. Copy the same mesh and elevate by the thickness of the form;
4. Create a slab at level zero to cut the form;
5. Do the SEO;
6. Create a 3d side view of the half form;
7. Save it as an object;
8. Insert it in the project;
9. Mirror it.
Can we use mesh to roof to create some thickness to the mesh before object saving?

What is the function in SEO? for hiding the slab? How about the elevation? I know sometimes SEO can't be shown in Plan/ Section/ Elevation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
with the hints of making mesh from Braza, I can do a better form by using sketchup (i mean it is better than my post before).
Anonymous
Not applicable
one more view
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Olivier wrote:

May be charm is not the correct word, I agree. Take it as an a euphemism.

Hahaha.
I am thick in the head these days.

Euphemism: From the pious saint "Euphemia" who always used a polite word when she meant the opposite. [i made that up]

Greek euphēmismos, from euphēmizein, to use auspicious words, from euphēmiā, use of auspicious words : eu-, eu- + phēmē, speech.

all words do come from the Greek ... hahaha!
Dwight
Newcomer
Why i say "All words come from the Greek":

The complex profile makes me laugh with delight [I’m old – other forms of delight have faded in the harsh sunlight of reality] because we finally have a tool that approximates the way plastic materials like concrete can be formed into architectural elements, like tilt-nosed risers.
I use it a lot in my own work [especially with SEO to create pseudo-organic elements] and seem like an Oracle in the offices I consult to when I show them this relatively new trick – mainly because they have left out modeling stairs, or whatever, because of complexity. I feel like a one-trick pony on the forum whenever I mention the Complex Profile since it seems like an answer to so many problems that so few are aware of.

I make the parallel to the Father in the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” created by a charming woman from my hometown.
In this movie, the Father, a Greek, was always trying to show how Greece was the originator of Western culture and that “all words come from the Greek.” The best scene of this is when one of Toula’s school friends says “what about ‘kimono’?”

This question sends the father into an absurd explanation of how a Japanese word could ever have come from the Greek language.

All words come from the Greek, and all Archicad challenges can be solved by the Complex Profile. Just don’t ask me to model a kimono. Leave THAT to Angus Lee and the curtain wall tool.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

The complex profile makes me laugh with delight [I’m old – other forms of delight have faded in the harsh sunlight of reality] because we finally have a tool that approximates the way plastic materials like concrete can be formed into architectural elements, like tilt-nosed risers.
I use it a lot in my own work [especially with SEO to create pseudo-organic elements] and seem like an Oracle in the offices I consult to when I show them this relatively new trick – mainly because they have left out modeling stairs, or whatever, because of complexity. I feel like a one-trick pony on the forum whenever I mention the Complex Profile since it seems like an answer to so many problems that so few are aware of.

I make the parallel to the Father in the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” created by a charming woman from my hometown.
In this movie, the Father, a Greek, was always trying to show how Greece was the originator of Western culture and that “all words come from the Greek.” The best scene of this is when one of Toula’s school friends says “what about ‘kimono’?”

This question sends the father into an absurd explanation of how a Japanese word could ever have come from the Greek language.

All words come from the Greek, and all Archicad challenges can be solved by the Complex Profile. Just don’t ask me to model a kimono. Leave THAT to Angus Lee and the curtain wall tool.
i wish i could laugh out very loud without ppl in here wondering if i've gone mad!!! :D:D

i understand the reference you make, i am greek, and watched said movie with mum and boyfriend of (then) under 6 six months whilst visiting in athens... to this day (6 1/2 years later) he still takes the p** about all words coming from the greek... which is in fact, true 😄 LOLOL
thus making all AC challenges solvable with CP and angus been the CW expert!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Angus,
angus wrote:
Can we use mesh to roof to create some thickness to the mesh before object saving?
As Mr. Obama says: "Yes we can!"
But I think we shouldn't... because you'd see all the ridges of the roofs... not good IMO.
If your question is related with the thickness of the shape... then SEO is the answer.
The SEO (Solid Element Operation) is used to perform operations (add, subtract, intersect, etc...) between 2 or more elements (walls, slabs, roofs, etc...)
In this example I created the first mesh with the shape I wanted... then I copied the same mesh with a -0.3 cm elevation...
Using the SEO I subtracted the second mesh from the first and put the second mesh in a hided layer (a special one I've created for SEO)...
The slab was used to cut (with SEO too) the lower edge of the shape to join symmetrically.
If you don't know much about SEO... Take a look at the AC Reference Guide page 352. There you can find practical examples of all operations.
Hope that helps.

Edit: You also can find more about SEO here:www.archicadwiki.com/Solid%20Element%20Operations
Dennis Lee
Booster
For people who haven't watched the scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1aFVVOJmg
Go to 5:19.

Dwight wrote:

ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Dennis Lee
Booster
Once you save it as an object, it becomes an independent object, and will show up in plan, section, elevation, 3D.

angus wrote:
Braza wrote:
1. Model half of the shape using one mass mesh with the main curved shape;
2. Elevate one vertice;
3. Copy the same mesh and elevate by the thickness of the form;
4. Create a slab at level zero to cut the form;
5. Do the SEO;
6. Create a 3d side view of the half form;
7. Save it as an object;
8. Insert it in the project;
9. Mirror it.

What is the function in SEO? for hiding the slab? How about the elevation? I know sometimes SEO can't be shown in Plan/ Section/ Elevation.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I've learnt much!!