BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

grid snap & display grid do not align

cremsberg
Participant
This is not new to AC12. Somehow, once in awhile, the grid snap gets mis-aligned from the display grid lines and I can't figure out how to get it back. I can double click on the User Origin button to get rid of any unintentional user origins, but it does not fix the problem. If I have my display grid at 1 foot each way and I draw a wall with Grid Snap turned on for 1 foot, the wall does not fall on the display line. I can probably import all my work in to an undamaged new template, but I really want to know what caused this in the first place.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The Grid Snap can snap to either the Construction Grid (including both the main grid and auxiliary grid) or the Snap Grid, depending on what you have set it to in either your Grids & Background dialog or via your Control box.

Are you sure it is not snapping to the other grid?

Cheers,
Link.
cremsberg
Participant
I have construction grid at 1 foot and snap grid set at 3 inches. The snap grid actually happens, not at nice 3" even intervals, but at 3" intervals that are off the grid by 1/8" and 1/4". It seems that the background grid display is accurate to the origin. Snapshot shows background grid at 1 ft and lines drawn while 3" snap grid is active.
Claire Remsberg

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hmmm, well let's see.

Technically:

The Construction Grid is set relative to Project Origin.
The Snap Grid is set relative to the User Origin or Edt Origin.

So if you're snapping to the Snap Grid, it will matter where your User Origin or Edt Origin currently is. If you're snapping to the Construction Grid it doesn't matter where your User Origin or Edt Origin currently is.

Furthermore if you have switched to the Rotated Grid, then the Construction Grid will no longer be relative to the Project Origin, but relative to the point at which the rotation was first established, and it will be aligned with the angle of the Rotated Grid

More importantly, the Snap Grid will still be relative to the User Origin or Edt Origin, but will be aligned with the angle of the Rotated Grid.

Assuming your User Origin is back at the Project Origin, it's possible that you may have your Grid switched to Rotated Grid even though the rotated grid may not be rotated at all, whilst snapping to the Snap Grid. If so, switch back to the Orthogonal Grid as per the image.

Or your Origin is not at the Project Origin and you're snapping to the Snap Grid. If so, reset your User Origin back to the Project Origin.

Cheers,
Link.
cremsberg
Participant
Link - I think I understand all that you have explained and it does not yield an answer to my dilemma. Is there any way I can send you a cleaned up version of my PLN file?
Claire Remsberg

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure - zip it up and email it to me at link at archilink dot net.

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, looks like the problem was just as I said:

Assuming your User Origin is back at the Project Origin, it's possible that you may have your Grid switched to Rotated Grid even though the rotated grid may not be rotated at all, whilst snapping to the Snap Grid. If so, switch back to the Orthogonal Grid as per the image.

Having said that, AC did report damage to the file upon opening. I recovered it here and continud on.

Cheers,
Link.
cremsberg
Participant
Link - I forgot to tell you that I work in Mac. I'm not sure if I made it into multi-platform before I sent it. (I don't even remember where this is controlled) Could this explain why you are getting error? I still have the problem in BOTH rotated and orthagonal grids. Since I couldn't figure this out, I just moved the data to a clean new file, via a temporary module file. This eliminated the problem. Still, I am curious what went wrong. Maybe just a corrupted file. Thanks for your efforts.
Claire Remsberg

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It's possible the DisableCrossPlatformMountingFeatures has something to do with it, although I doubt it. You can find out more about it here.

Glad you got it fixed.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The same bug has shown up here.
Construction grid 100 mm. Snap grid 25 mm
(No rotated grid and/or user origin)
(Fig1)
2008n004.jpg
Learn and get certified!