BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

materials not colliding correctly

heathldesign
Expert
I seem to always have this issue, the materials are not colliding at the roof/wall connection. see pic. I have carefully checked the intersection priority for all materials. for example the insulation layer in the wall is set to 515 and the gypsum on the ceiling is set to 148 but the gypsum is cutting the wall insulation. also the plywood sheathing on the wall is set to 620 and is still being cut by the gypsum. but the lines between the different materials are still visible even on materials that are cut. any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 4.28.09 PM.png
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
heathldesign:

According to the Basic Intersection Principles guide (in the Help files: Elements of the Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Element Intersections > Basic Intersection Principles), Wall/Roof connections are not automatic, they require a Merge/Trim command. You can select the two elements, right-click, then select Connect > Merge Elements.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
heathldesign
Expert
ah yes, i see. i seem to get different results depending on what i do. if i trim to roof/shell for some reason the outer skin disappears some times, but not always, see pic. and if i use solid element operations the skins don't cut properly, but merge seams to work as long as the wall is not taller than the roof. ie a gable wall before you trim it. so i still don't have a solution that i can use every time.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.20.55 PM.png
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Assuming that the thick and thin roofs are different objects (because of the different composites used), you need to first merge both roofs, then trim the walls, so that the roofs have a single trimming body. In your example, the trimming body of the roof will cut away the rest of the wall skins.

You can try this with another wall extending beyond the roof in any direction: depending on the final click (when you select which part to keep from the trimming operation), the rest of the wall will get erased. IMHO, this is not how the trim to roof command should work. I get the "trim to roof" concept, but the "trim" part is kind of... strict... in this sense.

Best regards.
heathldesign
Expert
thanks sinceV6, it slowly becomes more clear. that solved the skin issue, and it makes sense. will i remember this, i don't know. but i still have an issue. the trimmed walls show theough the roof see pic. i tried flipping the cutting body but that didn't help. I could have swarn that somewhere i read that you can choose what surface to cut to but i'm not finding it.
H
sinceV6
Advocate
As far as I know, this is a skin priority issue (did you erase the previous wall-roof connection and rebuild them?). There could be something else going on in how your model is built (walls on next floor? top level of walls?). This could even be a very specific case where you will need to model a complex profile beam to get clean automatic junctions between elements.

Best regards.
heathldesign
Expert
I have no idea. the priorities are set so that the top roof skin is highest. the wall top is above the roof surface, but that will always be the case at a gable so there must be something funky going on. this is the trim to roof tool, but this result is obviously not acceptable. some walls are fine but others are not. in the pic i have highlighted a wall that is behaving properly, and i copied that wall to the other walls but they are still not behaving correctly. so now the walls are the same. same layers, stories, elevations, height etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no idea of it too thepiratebays.org
Part of your problem is that you are not modeling things anatomically
correct.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!