BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Zooming" and how views and sheets react?

rob2218
Enthusiast
So...I've noticed a few things.
if you don't double click on the viewmap, layers wont be set to how a "viewmap" sets them, meaning....if you double click on the "Project Map" where the model is...the layer combo reverts to whatever the current layer combo is...I get it. It's a "viewmap" thing. Graphisoft WANTS us to to thru the ViewMap column (in AC18) to get the right layer combo, pensets..etc..

But...for Layouts for example....why can't the DARN layout simply be zoomed to "EXTENTS" so I don't have to keep, well...."zooming to extents" when I enter the Layouts?

I just don't get the logic sometimes....I mean...viewmaps...ok I can understand, GRAPHISOFT, you want to force the user to go thru the viewmap sequence to see the correct visual for the views we are trying to enter into...but....COME ON!.....the sheets (Layouts)? Really? I can't see to enter into the LAYOUT column of the project without having to zoom in or out (mostly zoom out to extents) to see the entire sheet AS SOON AS I ENTER THE LAYOUT.....what gives?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just make sure you zoom to extents before you leave a layout, then the next time you go back to any layout you will be at that zoom level.
rob2218
Enthusiast
huh....ok. fare nuff.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not saying you don't have a valid idea. Sometimes it would be good to go to a layout and have it zoom to extents. But sometimes you won't want to. I just find that some of those "always do this" settings have a habit of not always being the correct action. For example, I currently have the "Launch a new instance of Archicad when opening a project from the recent list or by dragging onto a running Archicad" setting turned on in AC16. It's handy when I want to open a second file for reference or just to print something quickly, rather than having to go through the Open>Open menus and check the "Launch new instance" button. But sometimes it catches me out when all I want to do is open a new file as the only project open.

What I'm saying, I guess, is it's sometimes better to get into good habits rather than relying on the software to make decisions and take actions for you.

A "read my mind" button would not go amiss though
rob2218
Enthusiast
Well expressed sir.
I've been searching for the "EASY" button on the Archicad icons now for over 9 years...still haven't found it......though I was able to locate the "magic wand" which will have to do for now.

I get what you are saying about establishing better habits.
will need to look into that a some point in my career.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
What I'm saying, I guess, is it's sometimes better to get into good habits rather than relying on the software to make decisions and take actions for you.
+1

We have a new guy in the office and Im trying to teach him how things should be done, instead of what some of the other guys in the office have told him to do. (I have to teach him the correct way)

Ive made it my job to organise our AC company libraries, textures, and building a new 19 Template from scratch but based off our current template
to get rid of all the trash that is stuck in our template
Learn and get certified!