Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

teamwork in archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
how do your company work in team in archicad?

use its teamwork tool? or use your own method? and what is your layering system?

and beside, when we work on a complex shopping arcade, the file become so heavy and slow, then we switch to other software instead of archicad.

actually, we hope we can finish a whole project by using archicad, but we can not stand the pain when using archicad sometimes. we believe in archicad, but for our experience, we just can't control archicad well.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
any of you work in team in your company?

i hope u may share your experience to me.

i really hope that i can use archicad to run through the whole project.
Anonymous
Not applicable
we use teamwork (as i'm sure others on here do too) but it would be too much to try and explain it all to you via this forum.
may i suggest you read through the reference guide and perhaps contact your local reseller for training on this (and other issues) - trust me, you will find it useful.
xristina wrote:
read through the reference guide and perhaps contact your local reseller for training
Or maybe even call a national or international guru for a few days to help in your setup --if you have a large project running, the investment will pay for itself within the first month.

Also, depending on the project you might be able to avoid Teamwork if you break up the project into layout, site model, building, and module publishing (units, building components) files, so that at any given time you are working on a relatively small file, and other people can jump in to help on other relatively small files without sign-ins and workspace conflicts. I have recently worked on a 500+ room hotel remodel project with 53 room types, and am now working on a 800 unit residential development on 6 towers and a 12-story office building; on all of them all drawings and schedules are model-based, in the hotel we had the furniture and equipment to the interior designer's drawings, in the residential and office projects we are modeling and scheduling the envelope with extreme detail. At no point have those projects needed more than 2 people working in parallel (most of the time it has been only 1), and we are more than happily doing everything without Teamwork.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Angus,
Your firm should hire someone to help. Linc Ellis here on this forum is based in Australia and travels the world doing this kind of work. Contact him.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Angus,
Your firm should hire someone to help. Linc Ellis here on this forum is based in Australia and travels the world doing this kind of work. Contact him.
Username Link
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio wrote:
xristina wrote:
read through the reference guide and perhaps contact your local reseller for training
Or maybe even call a national or international guru for a few days to help in your setup --if you have a large project running, the investment will pay for itself within the first month.

Also, depending on the project you might be able to avoid Teamwork if you break up the project into layout, site model, building, and module publishing (units, building components) files, so that at any given time you are working on a relatively small file, and other people can jump in to help on other relatively small files without sign-ins and workspace conflicts. I have recently worked on a 500+ room hotel remodel project with 53 room types, and am now working on a 800 unit residential development on 6 towers and a 12-story office building; on all of them all drawings and schedules are model-based, in the hotel we had the furniture and equipment to the interior designer's drawings, in the residential and office projects we are modeling and scheduling the envelope with extreme detail. At no point have those projects needed more than 2 people working in parallel (most of the time it has been only 1), and we are more than happily doing everything without Teamwork.

it sounds that archicad can go through the whole project, but it is just difficult to set rules between people.

that mean, we have to figure out the rules.

however, if not use teamwork, the model cannot communicate each other which lost the meaning of using archicad (in my point of view, archicad give me a feeling that less separated file, less error, drawings will also updated)
Sorry for that post, Angus, it may only have added to your confusion. I strongly suggest you don't try to 'figure out the rules' without learning the basics --which you can do in a few months by going through the manuals and a few years of AC-Talk, or in a few days by getting a good project setup and support from a consultant.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks ignacio , i will use the teamwork tool again, and when i have more specific problem, i will ask again.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
s2art wrote:
Erika wrote:
Angus,
Username Link
And I've never been to Hong Kong, but always wanted to!:-)

There's definitely a lot to know about Teamwork! One good trick is to use it for alternative design options as I explained here.

Cheers,
Link.