BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

text sizes and view scales

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey all,
Got another question.
For example:
In project manager I build up my site plan up using text size 3mm. save my view into view map, then drop it into my layout at 1:200… and the text stays at 3mm even tho the drawing has shrunk in scal, which is fine in most cases.. (with cad u would normally have to do the text at 6mm for it to show as 3mm in a layout at 1:200.)

Only problem is if for what ever reason, I want the text to stay constant to the drawing, am I able to?? So the text doesn’t stay 3mm no matter what the scale is I set.. so I can do a 1:200 and 1:500 and the text will be different sizes (basically how it would in autocad scaled layouts).. is this possible?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. The text settings dialogue has two options near the bottom - Scaleable and Fixed. If set to Scaleable it will change size with the drawing. Yours is currently set to Fixed, and so will remain at whatever height you set it, i.e. 3mm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
cant beleive i didnt see that option.. i spent like 30 mins trying to work it out.. thanks for that
Djordje
Ace
GeNOS wrote:
Hey all,
Got another question.
For example:
In project manager I build up my site plan up using text size 3mm. save my view into view map, then drop it into my layout at 1:200… and the text stays at 3mm even tho the drawing has shrunk in scal, which is fine in most cases.. (with cad u would normally have to do the text at 6mm for it to show as 3mm in a layout at 1:200.)

Only problem is if for what ever reason, I want the text to stay constant to the drawing, am I able to?? So the text doesn’t stay 3mm no matter what the scale is I set.. so I can do a 1:200 and 1:500 and the text will be different sizes (basically how it would in autocad scaled layouts).. is this possible?
You should think about readability on the printout. Paper can't be zoomed, and the magnifying glass is not usually present at a construction site.

This is one of the reasons why I always insist that the work is to be done in the View Map, with the scale already set, not the Project Map. Look at the view and work on a view in the scale that it is going to be used at. Any annotation or dimensioning text below 2mm will not be readable, and any above 4/5 mm will be too big - unless specifically required (descriptions of the buildings on a site plan, for example).

Make a habit to keep the text fixed in size, that is better. Also - when you did the hand drafting (if you ever did ...) you did not scale the text with the drawing, did you? You have used the same lettering template or texhnixal handwriting to fill in the text at all the scales?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art Wrote
Yes. The text settings dialogue has two options near the bottom - Scaleable and Fixed. If set to Scaleable it will change size with the drawing. Yours is currently set to Fixed, and so will remain at whatever height you set it, i.e. 3mm.
This is perfect for text boxes but is there a way to do this for labels in AC11. I know it's taboo to label in layout but it's kind of a pain to make sure that your label text size is correct in plan for a scaled up output. The label properties dialog is pretty basic and unless I'm missing something there is no way to tell it not to scale the label in layout.

Doug
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
4thorns wrote:
This is perfect for text boxes but is there a way to do this for labels in AC11. I know it's taboo to label in layout but it's kind of a pain to make sure that your label text size is correct in plan for a scaled up output. The label properties dialog is pretty basic and unless I'm missing something there is no way to tell it not to scale the label in layout.
In typical Graphisoft fashion, the scaling is not consistent throughout all the tools. In fact it's only available for the text tool AFAIK. Whilst I strongly believe the consistency in ArchiCAD needs to be carefully, but aggresively managed, I don't think the scaling option is all that important.

In AC12, the two options are now 'Scale with plan (Model Size)', and 'Scale Independent (Paper Size)'. If you just always use 'Scale Independent (Paper Size)' and never alter the dimensions, magnification or scale of your drawings, then everything should print predictably.

Any changes in scale should be altered in the view settings. That way you can see the changes instantly and move them as needed. Keeping in mind it's the anchor point that determines where the text is 'scaled' from, it's also wise to anchor them so that they remain in place, without overlapping other elements, where possible.

You should also never (ever, under any circumstances) annotate the model on the layout IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!