BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Updating existing Roof Components instead of creating new ones on update in Grasshopper

wkrt-hs
Booster

I am creating a roof in Grasshopper based on anchor points of columns in AC.
When I move one of the columns, instead of updating the existing roof, it creates a new one. 
This results in a new GUID and loosing all solid element operations / placed windows.
Is there any way to avoid this behaviour and instead just update the exisiting roof component?

Operating system used: Windows

4 REPLIES 4
Nurbs
Advocate

Hi,

Some more information would be helpful. Can you provide a screenshot of your GH-script?

AC16 -> AC aktuell
WIN 10 & Mac Studio Ventura

This is a minimal working example:

Unbenannt.JPG

I have four columns in Archicad connected to GH. When I move them, the roof is recreated and not refreshed, thus it looses for example it's windows and gets a new GUID.
I'm not sure if this is the expected behavior, but it's a big problem for our workflow.

Edit: Interestingly, if I modify the geometry by moving the points in GH and not the columns in AC, the roof is not recreated but updated as expected.

So it is a workaround to just move the refernce points in GH without recreating the roof. But just one accidential recompute/F5 leads to a recreation/loosing all windows and so on.

Hi,

I've experienced the same behaviour but there is a way to get around this. Add a boolean toggle to your skript. Then break the sync with set to "False", move your columns in AC and set back to "True". The roof will update then without loosing the window and the unique ID.Boolean_Toggle.png

Roof_1.png

Roof_2.png

AC16 -> AC aktuell
WIN 10 & Mac Studio Ventura
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

FYI: Yes, the Grasshopper Connection currently does not have the capability to update elements already existing in Archicad. It can only create new Archicad elements, and when any parameter changes in Grasshopper, it will delete those created elements and create new ones. This is why the GUID changes.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!