BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Long Term Projects and Migration???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Given that GS are now on a 12 month release cycle how are we supposed to deal with migration issues? If we have a project that started in AC10 and will be worked on for around 5 years (most projects here last that long) are we to upgrade the project files once a year for the next 5 years? What about libraries etc? Are we to follow the current GS advice that migrated project should keep the libraries of the originating version? That would mean we'd have AC10 libraries in AC14! thereby losing out on any improvements in the newer libraries...

Basically what I'm saying is that for those who have big long term projects GS need to make sure that the migrations work so that we get the benefits of the newer software AND libraries.

Any thoughts welcome...

Adri
2 REPLIES 2
TomWaltz
Participant
The general upgrade process here is to switch the libraries to the current version's and load the subset library for the previous version.

We also have a company library for each version. When a new version comes out, I copy the entire library, flag anything I don't want people to use anymore as "not placeable", and add/revise objects for the new features.

I've got a couple AC8 jobs that were brought all the way up to AC11 that way and they usually work. The problems usually came from reference markers, since the new markers work WAY differently than the one ones. (On a side not, once I started making my own markers, that problem went away)
Tom Waltz
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I too would suggest to migrate projects into the latest version of ArchiCAD. Such fundamental changes in the work flow as in AC10 (eliminating PlotMaker) are not likely to happen in the future. The transition between AC 10 and Ac 11 is pretty smooth. As far as the Libraries are concerned, the Library Subsets help you to upgrade the Libraries, yet keeping all the placed elements unchanged. You can learn more about the library subsets here: http://archicadwiki.com/Library_Subset
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Learn and get certified!