BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

View and Layout ID

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to pull the view ID and a layout ID into a title type simultaneously? Layout book seems to only let me set one or the other. Am trying to have a drawing code appear in layout that references project & view maps to make it easier to find a specific drawing in the long list of drawings.
9 REPLIES 9
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Not AFAIK. You could maybe do it with some auto reference hack, but not by default.

I think the more pressing issue is how you want to make it easier to find drawings? You can get a lot of info out of the Drawing Manager and if you right click on the header section, you get more categories to choose from. The Source View category may be all you need. You can also get info from right clicking on the drawing, either on the layout or in the Navigator/Organizer.

What kind of info are you after?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We use half size prints of our drawing sets and my goal would be to have a 3-4 digit code in the title type that prints out so that anyone looking at the set could go immediately to the project or view map without going through the layout book to access / edit a drawing. So what I was looking for was a way to link the project map ID code to the printed title type. (For example: if you have 100 details on a project - rather than trying to read the name that matches, if there is an easy numeric and sequential way to scan for the drawing in the maps, it would be nice...)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It's late here, but can you not simply achieve that with the View ID alone? Also, if you structure your views identically to their postion in the layouts, it would help make things easier.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The challenge occurs with wanting both view ID and layout ID in the same title type - ArchiCAD allows you to toggle between the two but so far I can't figure out how to have both....
TomWaltz
Participant
Tom wrote:
The challenge occurs with wanting both view ID and layout ID in the same title type - ArchiCAD allows you to toggle between the two but so far I can't figure out how to have both....
Are you trying to do this through the built-in title types or through your own GDL work?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am writing the GDL code and have it all written except for a way to pull the view ID from the project map. Is there a variable for the view ID or reference ID? I tried all the autotext options but they seem to want to pull info from the layout, not the info from the project & view maps.
__archiben
Booster
Tom wrote:
I am writing the GDL code and have it all written except for a way to pull the view ID from the project map. Is there a variable for the view ID or reference ID? I tried all the autotext options but they seem to want to pull info from the layout, not the info from the project & view maps.
it looks to me as though the title objects pull information for "AC_DrawingNumber" in some hard-coded fashion based on whatever selection you have made in the 'Drawing ID' field of the drawing settings dialogue. i can't see any documented global variables or requests that let you get to it either . . .

sorry.
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Tom,

I have run into the same problem lately (trying to do exactly the same) when updating our drawing titles. Apparently <DRAWINGID> is a virtual variable so it just copies and displays the value from the source as set in the Drawing Settings/Identification Tab. I have tried to use Drawing Name (when set to Name+ID option) to split the string up but the nature of autotext feature does not allow any string operations over it. So in other words the autotext (<ANYTHING>) variables are beyond the rich of GDL in terms of their content modification.
::rk
TomWaltz
Participant
Rob wrote:
Tom,

I have run into the same problem lately (trying to do exactly the same) when updating our drawing titles. Apparently <DRAWINGID> is a virtual variable so it just copies and displays the value from the source as set in the Drawing Settings/Identification Tab. I have tried to use Drawing Name (when set to Name+ID option) to split the string up but the nature of autotext feature does not allow any string operations over it. So in other words the autotext (<ANYTHING>) variables are beyond the rich of GDL in terms of their content modification.
Yes and no.

Yes, <DRAWINGID> is controlled from within Archicad. Inside an object, though, you can use the string variables AC_DrawingNumber and AC_DrawingName. With these, you can perform other string functions like cutting them down and splitting them apart.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!