BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090

Ahimsa Prema
Contributor
  • Hi everybody! Does anyone have experience with the NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4090 graphics card? Its specs are good for gaming and all specs are better than Quadro series graphics cards, but is it best for running ArchiCad 26 software, rendering, making videos? With the best Ahimsa Prema
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ahimsa Prema
Contributor

Hello. Thanks.
Things are starting to become clearer.
I found probably the best possible laptop for running AC and rendering Twinmotion or Lumion.
https://www.msi.com/Content-Creation/CreatorPro-X17-HX-A13VX

It has an NVIDIA RTX A5000 with a 16GB GPU, which is not the most capacious, as there is another 24GB and also a 48GB Gpu cards...
But there is no such a laptop with those.
16gb gpu is probably enough for small and medium projects, but probably not for very large and complex projects.
Then it should have min. 24 GB Gpu.
However I may still have to look for best solution ...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

As far as I know, AC is not that GPU intensive... What are you rendering and video editing with?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Yes, you may not need such a large Gpu capacity for AC.
When dealing with large-scale and complex projects, GPU capacity can be important.
I am looking for a suitable laptop for AC, Twinmotion, Rhinoceros, Grasshoper, with capable graphics, processor, etc.
I've been looking at the Msi Titan GT77 HX 13V.
Or something similar.

ESK
Booster

I work with NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 and my colleague is using a NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080ti. We are both modelling in Archicad and rendering in Twinmotion. The Quadro series is supposed to be better for Archicad where as the Geforce series is supposed to less suited for BIM. Our experience is that the Geforce performs as good in Archicad and better in Twinmotion. GPU-acceleration in graphic software works as well.

Windows 11, Intel Xeon W-2125 CPU @ 4.00GHz (4 cores 8 threads), NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000, 64 GB RAM 2666MHz, 1 TB SSD.
Archicad 17-27

Generally, the rule of thumb tends to be that Quadro series cards are much better suited to CAD/BIM programs for designers and architects, and that while the GeForce cards are indeed powerful, they are more geared towards gamers  and thus better suited to that field.

However, because gaming is GPU and raytracing heavy, having a GeForce card can be more useful in a workflow that utilizes GPU-based realtime renderers and render engines like Enscape, D5  and Twinmotion (and the most recent version of Lumion, I believe) - which are more and more popular and ubiquitous in Architecture work nowadays.

So if you're looking from a cost perspective, I'd go with GeForce since they are generally more affordable than Quadro series card and you get that plus of being able to do all your rendering in-house and in realtime with todays modern render engine.

You still get plenty of power and high-end functionality for the day-to-day CAD/BIMming stuff as they operate fairly decently in that area as well (and most CAD and BIM programs are not on their own, GPU-intensive or reliant).

Save the money for extra RAM chips or a higher end CPU since those two are more important for BIM and CAD design work.

But if you have the money to spend (and don't care too much about the rendering end of stuff), then you should consider the Quadro series since, like I mentioned, they are specifically designed and optimized for design in a CAD and BIM environment.

Lingwisyer
Guru

I feel like there is even less reason to buy a professional card over a consumer one now that you can run the professional drivers on both, especially if you are just using it for general CAD and rendering. On the otherhand, if you are doing structural simulations or the likes, you could probably make use of the touted improved floating point accuracy and such.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Jp1138
Expert

A 4090 maybe a bit of an overkill, but in any case better to invest in a RTX than in a Quadro.

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

Hello again.
Thanks to everyone who bothered to answer.
It seems that no one has direct experience with RTX 4090 rendering or using AC. But I got some ideas.
At the same time, for example, Amazon buyers have recognized the Quadro RTX 6000 graphics card as absolute junk and do not recommend buying it, it is possible that it was used from games and simply did not work.
It is clear that the Quadro series is specifically for the CAD system, but it is also an outdated series today. Newer than that is the RTX Ada series, which is also designed for CAD, but its price range is correspondingly very high.
I rather think that CPU and RAM capacity are important for running Cad. The graphics card may be important, but from your story it seems that the RTX 4090 will do the job for CAD and rendering as well, if supported by a capable Intel Core i9 5.6 GHz processor and 128 RAM.
Or does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Quadro cards receive driver support for many, many years, whereas older Geforce cards are dropped faster.

I have a Quadro FX500 (20 year old tech) in an old machine that is still working on WIN10, whereas a laptop of mine with fermi type Geforce card is no longer supported for WIN10.

2D acceleration is probably the only part where you will see any other noticeable difference.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

I think many of the processes in Archicad are single core tasks but I'm not an expert in CPU's. Consider a CPU with a high single core performance. 

Windows 11, Intel Xeon W-2125 CPU @ 4.00GHz (4 cores 8 threads), NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000, 64 GB RAM 2666MHz, 1 TB SSD.
Archicad 17-27
Learn and get certified!